peach juice?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dear DEAR DH came home with 5 baskets full of peaches from our local orchard. They are culls, so they aren't the best quality, and some of them are really too soft to freeze IMO. I'm thinking of running them thru the food mill, and will probably make some more jam out of them, but the 2 of us can only eat -and give away- so much jam. Can I can peach juice? Or would it be better to just freeze it. Not sure what I'd do with it, but it will probably make a good addition to smoothies.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
You could probably can peach juice. Would you be pressure canning or water bath canning? For water bath, you would need to add lemon juice to get the acid level up.

For me, I would make it in to mead. Add honey, champagne yeast, peaches and ferment! :D

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why didn't I think of mead??? We have about 3 quarts of unfinished honey to make mead, so that's perfect! DH will be sooo happy. :)

And I could do pressure or water bath canning. I guess I would go with pressure canning just to be sure I'm not going to poison us.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:thumbsup

I just remembered something....when someone gave me a giant bag of cull apricots, I made them in to BBQ sauce. I think you could do that with peaches too :D

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've had salsa that had peaches in it and it was really good! My own batch wasn't nearly as good, but our grandson loved it.

My mother would make fruit leather on her dehydrator with her excess peaches. Could you dehydrate them in pieces? (if there are any left after the fermenting project!) :D