Peach trees in a greenhouse? Any one grow a fruit tree in a greenhouse?

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love peaches! My dream was to have peach trees and grow my own for canning and eating fresh until I am in a peach coma.
I live right on the edge of the growing zone for peaches. That means I can plant a tree, it will live and grow for 3-4 years, then we will have one of our wild winters and it will die. Been there, done that. I have killed 4 trees so far.

The neighbor spent a couple of months last summer taking down a couple of huge commercial greenhouses. He brought all the framing back home with him and is selling it. This is big, commercial greenhouse framing, I am guessing 26' wide and 20' tall. DH is talking of buying enough sections for a 30' greenhouse for us to extend our growing season. I would like to have a permanent 3' side wall at ground level, and make the cover able to be raised from the 3' level to the 6' level, so I can just open it up for the summer and let the pollinators in. Goal right now being to plant dwarf or semi-dwarf peach trees in there.

Any thoughts on why this plan would not work? or any advice from someone who has peach trees?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our botanical gardens here have banana and other tropical trees in theirs. Like anything else, climate adaptation. Go for it!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have peach and pear trees in the wild here in southern IL. Too cold where you live?
I can only find 1 type of peach tree that is listed as Zone 4. I am zone 4b/3a. So just a tiny bit too far north, a friend in Milwaukee has 2 peach trees in his yard and they do great - he is zone 5.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've tried peach trees and a couple of other fruit trees in one part of my property that I figured would be somewhat sheltered- the south side of the house: warmth from the sun and reflected warmth from the walls, and protection from the north winds. Nothing has survived there for more than a couple of years. Even the witch grass is sparse. I'm beginning to suspect something inimical to growing things is in the soil in that one spot.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love this idea! Makes me wonder what is possible! I am in 4a/3b too. I tried zone 4 cherry trees but they didnt survive. I love peaches!

Did you decide to try it?