Peacock in my yard!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not that this has anything to do with self sufficient living.. but I have a big ol' white peacock in my yard! He's been there for several hours now.

I found out that he actually belonged (s) to a neighbor, but went wild with another one several weeks ago. They caught one, but this pretty guy won't let them get close enough.

So I put out some scratch and a bowl of water. He's just hanging out in the shade of my pickup truck now. He came up within about 5' of me when I took out some bread so I was able to snap a few pictures. Out here, you gotta have some proof of your tales. :D

I have some big trees in front, so he has a place to roost. I hope he decides to hang around.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just one thing, if you hear what sounds like someone calling for help, figure out where the peacock is first! If I hadn't known that a friend's neighbor had peacocks, I would have been calling 911 for the person yelling for help in the woods!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i love peafowl, id love a couple one day

the good (and bad) news is if you have snakes around, he will take care of that problem pretty qick for you...they are also tick and ant munchers too (not as good as the guinea, but still pretty good.

the whites are simply stunning.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chickensducks&agoose said:
so... you said you had pictures????
yes, but they are on my cell phone! I never did take the time to learn how to use the digital camera, I'm not even sure where DH has it stashed! He's out of town for a couple more days, hopefully the peacock will still be around then.

I watched him fly up into a tree to roost, but he didn't like it there. The last I saw, he was heading towards an old mulberry tree out back, so maybe he's roosting there. I didn't see him in the leaves, but who knows? He might have even flew back home behind the creek.

While I was out watching the peacock, I saw the baby/teenager owl get chased off by a big crow when it got too close to her nest. Lots of stuff going on out front today.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now that's just wrong on so many levels - unless I was really hungry. :lol:

We used to pass a big farm (when we lived in S. Ga.) that had peacocks. I'd roll down the window and screech at them just so they'd start a ruckuss. There was one community just outside of town that had them roaming all around the neighborhood. They'd wander out in the road and roost on people's houses. No one seemed to mind.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I heard they are good. I know swans are HORRIBLE to eat. But if you skin them and toss the meat, you can put it around yummy meat for display.