Peafowl

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My daughters elementary school teacher raised them to eat . They never had turkey for Thanksgiving only peacocks. The feathers could be sold after you send them to freezer camp. My MIL has them for snake control but they are loud.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know what's up, but either the deal fell thru or there was a miracle and the man is 100% well or IDK what, but my contact never gave me the details and I don't have the chicks. I suppose if something comes up, I'll get a few.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry the deal fell through. We had a white peacock adopt us for several months. He was so striking it was worth the poo on the side of my pickup and more poo on the porch railing...most of the time.

I'm sorry he went on a walk about back to his old place. They lured him into his pen with some bread and he's never been out since. It's not a big pen, either. :(

You could sell the eggs for a nice profit, too. Our neighbors drove 5 hours to get to the farm that had peacock eggs for sale. They bought a dozen, only 4 hatched.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We went to the zoo in Lufkin today. They have peas running loose all over the zoo, probably close to 200 of them. prime habitat for peas, couldn't go anywhere in the whole place without half a dozen peas on the sidewalks. :love They are all India blues and soo pretty! I wish I had a place to keep pea fowl!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I know you're talking about peafowl, but I have this mental picture of peas w/legs running all over. :lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welll, I don't have them now, of course, but we had them in the past and Momma had a few years back and the feathers are stiill colllected and in 2 jars over Daddy's bed. If I can pass them in some clean water to get the dust off, I wonder if I can put a few on Ebay to see how to sell them. If I can do that, I might think its worth it to me and actually seek them out. As of now, I was waiting for a phone call or facebook message.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
OK, I know you're talking about peafowl, but I have this mental picture of peas w/legs running all over. :lol:
Hahahah me too.

Only experience I have with peacocks is the one that showed up from out of the blue (our closest neighbors are a mile away & had no knowledge of it)- it beat up all of the mama hens & ate their chicks. Not cool. Someone took that awful thing far away- had I known they were good to eat it would have went into the oven.