Pectin.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I did it once....I want to try everything at least once! But I'd never even water-bath canned or made jam or jelly before, and my very first batch was made with peaches and homemade apple pectin. My hubby says he liked it, but there is still a jar left! It worked, but my peach jam tastes like watered-down apple jam, with no cinnamon, etc. Live and learn.

Yes, I would try it again, but with a flavor that goes better with apples. Like apples. :p

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, I've never tried "making" my own pectin per se. But after watching "Alone in the Wilderness" on PBS a documentary about a man who went completely off grid to build a log cabin and live off Alaska wilds back in the 60's or 70's with little or no outside contact, it gave me an idea. In the show, he made some kind of wild berry syrup with just berries and sugar. So I tried that with some blueberries and sugar, boiling for a couple of minutes and putting in a jar. I then kept it in the fridge and the next day checked it out and was very much like jam and thicker than expected. I have heard all fruit does have some natural pectin-green apples the most, and I'm thinking the natural chemical compounds, including pectins and acids added with sugar and heat is what produces the "jell". Possibly with a little more sugar and longer boiling times (2 or 3 minutes vs 1 min) would produce thicker jam or jelly and less would be thinner like syrup. I don't know this for sure, but my one attempt did get a thick jam, even though I was trying more for a syrup. Also, it might depend on the type of fruit used. I think berries have higher acid that stone or tree fruits (other than obvious citrus and apples), but these are all in my own opinion and in no possible way of true experience or professional know how. Just an idea to pass on if you want to experiment. Good luck!

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Unripe and under ripe fruit have more pectin than fully ripened fruit. Use about 25% unripe fruit when making jelly for better jelling.

Latest posts