Peeing in nest box

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My doe had 3 good falls offs Sept 24. I put nesting box in with her last Monday (28 days)
All she wants to do is pee in it and isn’t pulling fur…what should I do about her peeing in it? There are just a little soft pine shavings over cardboard in it

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No help here! No rabbits. Had the box been used before, maybe pee smell in it? Since she's not pulled hair, I'd be inclined to snatch it out, wash it with light dose of peroxide (or ??)...dry well, back in with fresh cardboard & shavings. Few hours at most. :idunno :fl

Like I said, no rabbits.....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used hardware cloth on the bottom of nest boxes. That way the pee passed through and less chance of the ammonia fumes killing the babies. I changed out the bedding, usually hay, for fresh. Pine shavings aren’t easy to clean out, you have to dump the whole thing.
Do you have hanging wire cages?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I removed nest boxes of a doe wasn't ready to use it. I'd offer it overnight, take it out in the morning if she didn't nest. Correct? Ideal? Kind? IDK.

If her cage is big enough, maybe give her a corner litterbox? She might prefer that all the time? I used litterboxes to make cleaning easier.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used hardware cloth on the bottom of nest boxes. That way the pee passed through and less chance of the ammonia fumes killing the babies. I changed out the bedding, usually hay, for fresh. Pine shavings aren’t easy to clean out, you have to dump the whole thing.
Do you have hanging wire cages?
Not hanging wire, just a huge grow out cage on a stand that we divided into (4) 2’x4’ sections

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not hanging wire, just a huge grow out cage on a stand that we divided into (4) 2’x4’ sections
But it’s all wire? Mine were all wire in a barn. I placed those aluminum auto clamp on lights over the nest boxes with wires run through the rafters, on cold nights, to keep new babies warm.

peteyfoozer

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I’m here! Sorry about being out of touch! Had a tough week then trying to get the house clean because we are having a VISITOR!!!
…you ever get the feeling someone is watching you? ….

IMG_6002.jpeg