PeeperKeeper and Her World

PeeperKeeper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So this is about "me"?
I'm old, or at least I feel that way. Born in 1950. So many dreams, so many plans.... still have dreams and plans.

We bought our "farm" in 1972. It was being sold as a "hunter's delight". Weeds, scrub brush, poison ivy, ground hogs and their holes everywhere. No electricity, no running water. Attempts to dig a well found prehistoric sea water. Yes it was very salty to the taste.

Now, 37 years later, we have rural electric co-op lines, city water with a meter 1/2 mile from the house, a telephone line and a lot of mowing finally subdued the poison ivy.
When God looks at us, he chuckles!

We started out hoping for self sufficiency, but it seemed that everything was very expensive in the 1970's so we had to "settle for".

Food was kept in large Tupperware keepers held down in a deep spring with big rocks. Bath water was hauled up from the spring and heated on the stove and we started with the cleanest child in the wash tub and so on and so on.

We tried growing corn for the animals only to find racoons liked it better raw. Hay was difficult to get to dry as we lived in a valley and I would be able to see the fog rise right out of the ground before I could get it raked or baled.

I learned that cows are difficult and believe the grass is greener in the next holler, chickens would rather perch on the porch then any kind of coop you could provide, goats gave great milk but could destroy a fruit orchard in the same amount of minutes that it spent in years to grow.

And never slaughter pigs or chickens for the freezer or curing when you are pregnant! The rememberance of the smell makes you nauseated for a whole year!

We raised RIR one year and then the next we tried Domineckers. Always had good egg output until the predators got in the coop. "Who forgot to shut the hen house door?!?!?"

We were struggling and the kids needed things...like food and clothes. So after 4 years of trying on the farm, I went back to school for my degree as a nurse.

The ducks and chickens were given away, the goat herd and beef cows were taken to the auction barn and sold. Each summer we decided how much mowed yard we wanted and the rest of the fields were mowed just enough to keep snakes and mice from venturing too close to the house. The 14 acres on the hill top that we struggled so hard to clear for hay was let go and is more heavily overgrown now then back in the 80's.

I went to work in critical care units, the building recession was over and DH was happy at work again. We took our first vacation in 1988. My oldest child was 17 and the youngest 7.

So , who am I? I am a lot more than can be told by asking me what my favorite color is. Hopefully this journal will eventually share with whoever reads it what makes PeeperKeeper keep on smiling when she opens her eyes in the morning!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:welcome

Now that I have the welcome out of the way I would like to say you are not OLD. I know. Cause if you are old so am I and I refuse to even think about that. LOL

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome from WV

Wow! You have much to be proud of. Glad to have you on board! :thumbsup

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Peeper! Hey from a fellow Kentuckian! Look forward to hearing about more of your adventures! :celebrate

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score

So glad you're here! I'm glad you posted about your SS adventure, good bad and ugly!! I look forward to hearing more about you and your adventures.....WELCOME!! :frow

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

My parents (although they are 'older' than you) did almost the same things as you... they had their first vacation together 3 years ago (when I was 29)... we grew up in a farm with many trials and tribulations... and lost the farm to high interest rates in the 1980's...

Even after seeing what my parents went through, I'm now working my way back to getting a farm like that... I wouldn't change my childhood for anything I loved it.

Glad to have you here, looking forward to reading your journal :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score

Nice to have you join us! It sounds like life has been an adventure and I look forward to reading more.....:pop

PeeperKeeper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Today was a happy occassion! The children at church performed a Christmas pageant. I have 2 GDs but they live a little too far away. I miss them. But watching the church family children grow up over the years fills a big empty spot in my heart.
They were all dressed to represent tree ornaments. There were ruffles and sparkles and glitter. Singing and signing the songs was rather a work out for some in the 45 min. presentation. Bows came undone, veils fell off, sparkles and glitter got scattered everywhere! Only a few tears when one little fellow couldn't hold his "spot" on the stage and was jostled around a bit. They sang and recited, but what was the most rewarding was to be able to see the excitement in their faces....anticipating Christmas!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome peeper.

Iam sure it wil be a blast reading your adventures.

The Christmas pageant sounds like a wonderful time.

PeeperKeeper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had knee replacement in January. Things are going great! I just would like to be able to work in the garden again.
My goals for this summer are:
1. Walk to the chicken coop everyday.
2. Help pick veggies out of the garden.
3. Raise a decent herb garden.

Doesn't take much to make me happy. :D