Peking Lost Her Eggs :(

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a few Pekings, both boys and girls, and about three weeks back one of the ladies had made a nest out in the thistle in their run (10k sq ft fenced in area) and though it pained us with worry we let her stay out there at night instead of forcing her into the protected run with all the other birds. Fast forward to today and now the other lady also has a nest in the tall grass but all of a sudden all the eggs from lady #1 are gone.

If we had her in at night I would immediately guess raccoon or opossum, but she was out there last night and now tonight the eggs are gone. No shell fragments or yolks to be seen. Thoughts on what occurred? The rest of the chickens were all out today including our roosters. No missing cluckers as far as I know.

Lady duck #2 is still on her nest. Think she stole 'em?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First thought -- snake. But, check the nest of lady#2. I've had chickens roll those things to themselves if other nest is close!

If first thought is right, it will return for nest 2.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First thought -- snake. But, check the nest of lady#2. I've had chickens roll those things to themselves if other nest is close!

If first thought is right, it will return for nest 2.
Snake was in my thoughts too, but our location in Minnesota just doesn't scream hognose or bullsnake, but maybe I should check some habitat maps.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We have a few Pekings, both boys and girls, and about three weeks back one of the ladies had made a nest out in the thistle in their run (10k sq ft fenced in area) and though it pained us with worry we let her stay out there at night instead of forcing her into the protected run with all the other birds. Fast forward to today and now the other lady also has a nest in the tall grass but all of a sudden all the eggs from lady #1 are gone.

If we had her in at night I would immediately guess raccoon or opossum, but she was out there last night and now tonight the eggs are gone. No shell fragments or yolks to be seen. Thoughts on what occurred? The rest of the chickens were all out today including our roosters. No missing cluckers as far as I know.

Lady duck #2 is still on her nest. Think she stole 'em?

Yep.....watched my own ducks do this. Pretty soon they were both sitting on the same nest and then one finally got over being broody, while the other continued to sit the nest.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep.....watched my own ducks do this. Pretty soon they were both sitting on the same nest and then one finally got over being broody, while the other continued to sit the nest.
I hope that's the case. The first duck was REALLY upset about her eggs being gone.

Latest posts