Permaculture help

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a HK in progress. I've completed about 8' of it. It's not traditional, in that there is no trench. The bed is built into a side hill that would otherwise grow up to brambles and weeds. I've used what ever trash wood becomes available. So, there's a lot of soft wood. The good hard wood gets used for fire wood. And, when I was done stacking the wood, there was no soil that would normally be left over from digging the trench to start the HK. So, I improvised there also. added a lot of semi finished compost, a lot of leaves, a lot of grass clippings, old hay, and topped it off with some loam. So, it's a hybrid HK/lasagna bed. Last year was my second year planting in that space. I think I grew about 200# of squash. Some of the hubbards were about 40#. As energy and time allow, I will continue adding to it. When completed, it will be about 30' long, about 6' wide, and 2' to 4' tall.

OOPS, my bad. old thread.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dug a trench in my garden and filled with wood chips, covered with dirt and another layer of wood chips. Going to plant purple hull peas.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This winter the power company cut down a lot of trees and brush and I'm thinking maybe we could grow squash or melon hugelkultur style. Last year the rabbits and deer didn't bother our squash so this is a possibility.