Permaculture, Regrarians, etc. 2017

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I want to know more about this subject too. I've studied it somewhat, but haven't implemented anything as of yet.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@Beekissed - I can give a try for definitions... Permaculture is a design discipline based on science and ethics. Three primary goals are meeting people's basic needs, improving the health of the ecosystem, and redistrbuting surplus (sharing, expanding the system, etc,). Many different elements and methods can be used to accomplish these goals, also called ethics.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This year we are making a little extra push to establish more perennial vegetables and small fruit trees. An increasing need we have is to reduce effort for producing food. Somwe now have wine cap mushrooms, sea kale, Korean celery, mintroot, and Turkish rocket in additin to kiwi, raspberries, blackberries, and other berries. We grow garlic - takes a few days' labor a year! I use loads of mulch (used duck bedding) and it is a blessing.

Regenerative agriculture is a combination of using land for production of food, in such a way that the land gets healthier and healthier from the methods used.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I dug trenches for a pea patch, filled with wood chips, put the dirt back and put wood chip mulch over that. I ran out of tractor turn room or I would have done the whole corner of the garden like that. I will mulch the remainder and plant purple hull peas. We'll see how it goes.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Peas are growing nicely on some foot-deep duck bedding I planted. They are primlarily for building soil, but the sprouts are yummy!

Might put in some field peas soon.

I was impressed last year. It was a very dry summer, and flax, radishes and mustard did very well. So did buckwheat. I am converting lawn to garden,

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Right now I have apples, pears, raspberries, grapes, gooseberries, currants, peaches, strawberries, plums, rhubarb, spearmint, peppermint, scallions, walking onions, potatoes, parsnips, radishes, oregano, wormwood, comfrey, lemon balm, catnip, feverfew, chives, black walnuts, goji berries, sage, leaf lettuce, black cherries, wine cap mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms although those need to be refreshed. Yes, a few of those are annuals but I'm counting them as permaculture because they come back every year by design. There are probably more, but that's what I could think of by doing a walking tour in my head.

I have schizandra berries and lingonberries on order. I regularly forage for elderberries, Autumn berries, and grapes.

All of the above are planted in no-till methods and come back every year without any work other than some occasional thinning. All of my garden are now no till and mulched heavily with wood chips.

I think most if not all of that qualifies as permaculture with the exception of the main vegetable garden that is planted each year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's a lot of food, Free! :th Kudos on the food forest!

I have a BTE garden and have a few perennials started in there but not many as of yet~garlic, chives, raspberries, rhubarb, strawberries, asparagus. The rest of the space is used for annual food stuff.

I have an apple orchard and a few peach trees, some new apple saplings where I have compost rings around them, planted to potatoes also.

The jury is still out on how I feel about the BTE method but I'm committed now, so I'm hoping it gets better with time.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of the Permaculture principles is that each element - each part of the system - has more than one role. Ducks provide manure, eggs, meat (for some), eat slugs, snails, and weeds.

Another principle is that more than one element does the same job. Ducks eat weeds, I eat some, and the compost eats some.

A principle that is so vital and for many so challenging (I know we will get there), is that there is no waste. Everything coming out of an element provides something to other elements.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hope you continue this post. I love perennial type forages. I'm thinking I need to be picking some poke salad, lol. A friend brought some cooked with eggs (the traditional way). It was so yummy. I never let DH chop it down because I want it to reseed and give up plenty of greens for years to come.