Persephone months in the greenhouse

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found this neat article. You can enter your location, and find out how many hours of day light you will get on any day of the year. This is critical information for many gardening ventures and farming: from knowing when to plant your long day onions to knowing the optimum time to start spring chicks so they will reach sexual maturity at or before the summer solstice.

When growing crops in a green house, the dividing line is at 10 hours of day light. Prior to that day length, crops simply don't grow well. After 10 hours, they will resume growth. My green house soil is frozen, but I may sow some seed under dbl. layer of plastic now, so that when the critical date arrives, those seeds will be primed and ready to go. (for me, it's Feb 6.)

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/bangor?month=2&year=2019

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're at 10 hours, 23 minutes and 49 seconds! Does that mean I can start planting? (cuz I stuck some peas in the dirt the other day..) :idunno

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
IMO, if you can open the ground up, you can plant peas. I try to get them into the ground just as soon as the frost is out. BTW, I just read that our frost is usually 5 feet deep!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our ground doesn't freeze - it muds! But I did put some seeds in tubs - just to see what would happen. I hope what happens is that peas grow.