Pesky Pond Weeds

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I posted this over on TEG, but no one seems to have had success or experience with it.
I have a pond that is being taken over by Phragmites or common reed. And water lilies.
I have done a few well spaced applications of ShoreKlear or Rodeo, a Round Up type of product with a surfactant. I applied in perfect conditions and even strengthened the solution the last time. It is fairly ineffective and it's been a month.
Has anyone here been successful eliminating these weeds by using either product?

It bothers me to use this stuff but digging and mechanical removal haven't worked, either.
Yes, there have been ducks and White Amur fish (grass carp) in the pond but they made no dent at all.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Phragmites are a nightmare!!!! we have a family friend who lives right beside a small creek. You used to be able to canoe sown this creek, but now as it stands, only one third width-wise of the creek is passable by his house, and farther down the creek, it is impassable. He has tried everything to get rid of the phragmites, to no avail. He even tried taking his tractor our into the area. 5 years ago, it used to be water--now, it is swampy. he almost lost his tractor to them. he was able to get his tractor out, but the phragmites still stand.

On another note--have lemons--make lemonaid sorta.... I read on a wild foraging site, that phragmites can be used for drying, and then grounding into flour.

Good luck . If I hear anything from our friend, I'll let your know.

juliebee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Syvie
You could try asking this question on pondboss.com
Those guys are terrific and very helpful
Julie

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
juliebee said:
Hi Syvie
Julie
Thanks for the tip! That is a great site.
I have done all the recommendations, unfortunately. It is my hope that one person on that site or this one will have had this problem and tweaked something for a workable solution.

Oh! and WELCOME to SS!!!!! :D

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Phragmites are a nightmare!!!! we have a family friend who lives right beside a small creek. You used to be able to canoe sown this creek, but now as it stands, only one third width-wise of the creek is passable by his house, and farther down the creek, it is impassable. He has tried everything to get rid of the phragmites, to no avail. He even tried taking his tractor our into the area. 5 years ago, it used to be water--now, it is swampy. he almost lost his tractor to them. he was able to get his tractor out, but the phragmites still stand.

On another note--have lemons--make lemonaid sorta.... I read on a wild foraging site, that phragmites can be used for drying, and then grounding into flour.

Thanks, I am as desperate as your friend. If I hit on something I will post it on here, as well.
I keep thinking that it could be worse as I drive by ponds and see them covered in Watermeal which looks like a solid green coating on the surface and equally as tough to eliminate. Often mistaken for Algae, too.
I wonder if the Phragmites is preventing that particular nasty.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
sylvie said:
miss_thenorth said:

Thanks, I am as desperate as your friend. If I hit on something I will post it on here, as well.
I keep thinking that it could be worse as I drive by ponds and see them covered in Watermeal which looks like a solid green coating on the surface and equally as tough to eliminate. Often mistaken for Algae, too.
I wonder if the Phragmites is preventing that particular nasty.
Phragmites are just getting rid of all the pond swampy areas period--they re eating it all up. Nasty stuff!!!

juliebee

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
sylvie said:
juliebee said:
Hi Syvie
Julie
Thanks for the tip! That is a great site.
I have done all the recommendations, unfortunately. It is my hope that one person on that site or this one will have had this problem and tweaked something for a workable solution.

Oh! and WELCOME to SS!!!!! :D
Thank you for the welcome! I am also glad that you asked this question. I will keep my eyes peeled on our pond. I do not want this stuff to get started. We subscribe to the pondboss magazine and have also met the editor and several of the contributors. They are a smart and helpful bunch of people.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I keep thinking that it could be worse as I drive by ponds and see them covered in Watermeal which looks like a solid green coating on the surface and equally as tough to eliminate.
Oh, man, try falling into a watermeal-covered pond. Like totally all the way underwater. You're still picking watermeal out of your hair and ears and personal regions and so forth for, no kidding, weeks afterwards. Aaaaauugh! :p

However personally I'd vote for Phragmites as being worse overall, since it totally reconstructs the pond's shoreline and nutrient balance.

What you need are aquatic goats or something like that :p

(What about a chicken tractor with captive canada geese? I am only half-joking.)

Pat

Latest posts