peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
well not quite but i have a tonne of peppers banana, shepard (not yet red), bell (green and black) and many cayenne, etc.
i am looking for pickle recipes
i am usually a fan of the spicy italian styles but am open to new things
i am NOT into sweet pickles
looking forward to seeing what you guys got!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:lol:

Well, I'm up to my ears in fingerling potatoes at the moment. Pumpkins have taken over the rest.

ETA: Oh, you want recipes...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I had some success with fermenting my hot peppers, it is over on the fermenting thread. I am going to experiment with sauces later, and maybe some super hot mustards. I found horseradish in the supermarket today, great huge hunks. Didn't buy any, but I will go back for it later, when I am ready to ferment it into horseradish sauce and horseradish mustard.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Ball Blue book and Putting Food By both have lots of good recipes. I recommend getting a copy of PFB to anybody who cans, freezes, dehydrates or smokes any kind of food. It has info on root cellaring even.

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mrs. puff i agree putting food by is the best canning\preserving book out there i think.
i am down with all those book kinda canning ideas
i guess i am looking for somethings with some personal touch or what ever.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Thanks for the tip on the books. I got PFB for $1.99 from one seller!
Where did you find this deal? I'm a book junkie and love paperbackswap.com I've got this book on my wish list, but so do tons of other people.

thanks,
-Angela

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have tons of peppers too. I have jut been drying and freezing with a jar or two of plain ole vinegar based pepper sauce.
I would love some new ideas as well.

:pop

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I use up a lot of hot peppers by sticking a few into each quart of tomatoes I can for "hot tomatoes". I then use those tomatoes in chili, stew and making smothered spicy chicken.

I also like to pickle the slices in cider vinegar in small jars for later use in Mexican and other spicy recipes.

My last two are favorites around here - hot pickled okra and hot veggie pickles, which are carrot, celery, cauliflower, onion and pepper slices in a cider vinegar pickle. Yummy!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
FF - That hot pickle veggie with carrots, onions celery etc sounds wonderful. Do you have that recipe posted anywhere?