Phase one/project quail--Got the quail!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Today I am going to pick up some supplies to make my quail cages. I found some used chicken cages--the kind that factory farmers raised egglayers in. I will be using them for my quail cages. I'm getting two, at $20 each. Then, I am picking up some free lumber that my friend offered me. I haven't got all the details sorted out yet, but I am going to use this to build me some quail cages. I will still need some extra plywood etc to build an enclosed area and a roof for the the setup, but I will see what I can scrounge.

Weather permitting--that will be my project starting next week. I will be raising quail for meat. My goal this year is to produce ALL our own meat-so I don't have to buy any. I will also be bartering some of my chickens/eggs/quail/rabbit to a guy down the road who raises beef. (I would like to -but can't rely on the fact that we will get a deer next fall for red meat.)

The only problem I see in this--is possibly not getting enough bacon from my pig to supply us for a year, but then i can always make sausage.

So for now--phase one is getting all the supplies I need to build me some quail cages.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Sounds good....

Now keep in mind, because your going to be short on bacon, fat back.

When it comes time and you need a brine recipe for your bacon before you smoke it, drop me a note on my SS journal. I still use the same one my grandpa did.

muddler6

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I actually have access to several of those chicken cages and would be interested in seeing how you do your conversion into quail cages.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I really like the idea of being independent on meat production. Sounds like you have a great plan I can't wait to see the details.:)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey Miss North, sounds like a great venture. I have a question for you...hehee! Are quail the same as partridge? I mean can you dress them the same...step on the wings and pull? I've always wondered that and could never find the answer...cause if the dress out that easily I might do some too...I hate doing chickens...too much work!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Morel--Quail are much smaller than grouse (or what you are referring to as partridge :)). You "could" dress out the same way, but then you are wasting the legs. Do a search over in BYC for a post by monarc-about dressing out a quail. I was told three minutes from cage to freezer. they dress out at about 6 oz, which imo, is s good size for a meal. 6 to 8 weeks before the freezer. I am really looking forward to getting them, and I will keep you informed on the progress.
Muddler--as far as setting up the cages--I'm still debating enclosing one end or just putting a roof over the whole thing and making flaps for it fo when the weather is bad. Whatever I do--the first step is to elevate the cages so they are off the ground and at about hip height--so working in them and accessing them will be convenient.

Got the cages--got some lumber--hope the weather cooperates tomorrow, and I'll get building.

sweetshoplady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Quail are very easy to dress. Very quick. I've been doing quail for meat for the past 6-8 months. I usually clip the wings off with a pair of kitchen shears (not much meat there anyway). Most of the meat is in the breast and legs. I've found that a knife and kitchen shears work great on them.

Miss_the North, you will so enjoy these little birds. Best of luck on your project.

Monarc has really nice quail and knows a lot about them.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, Sunday was the fur and feather sale at Mount Forest, about three hours away. it is a great way to spend the morning--usually. When we got there it started pouring, but we toughed it out. I ended up getting two trios of coturnix quail. I thought the pens were ready for them, but keeping the quail overnight taught me that the holes in the cages were still a little too big. Thankfully, only one got out, and stuck around. (we kept the cage in the shop) but modifications to the cages are being made right now( I just came in to take a break). I am reinforcing with chicken wire, so they can't escape again.

So, now, collection of the eggs will begin, and then incubation to hatch out more babes. I'll keep you all posted, but I just thought I would update. Now, back at 'err!