Phase one/project quail--Got the quail!!

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am going to get quail here shortly and used laying cages for my pens too!

100_4400.jpg

This is just one section. It was 4 layer "stalls" cut from a 9 "stall" section (does that make any sense? I don't know how to describe it). I took the 4 stalls and removed 2 of the dividers and the wire doors that were on it. So now each section is about 14" square. I ordered pre-made doors from Bass but they aren't here yet. I also added 1/2" mesh to the floor over top of the 1"x2" wire that was there.

Once I get it all done I will post some more pics. Not trying to thread-jack but thought I would share that I used the same type of cages.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Yes--my cages are similar. Mine are 6' long, three compartments--each measuring 2'x2'x1 1/2' . So, three quail per section. At first, all 6 were in one compartment, and they all seemed to fit, But I figured more room for them. See the front where the wire is more widely spaced? that;s where they were escaping from. So chicken wire is there now, but I will have to come up with something more permanent. ( It is a pain when you have to go in the cage) I was going to build these to be outside, but hubs and I are going to build n addition on the barn so I can have my chickens, rabbits and quail all in the same place ( and goats too, but he doesn't know that yet He's pretty adament about no goats, but we'll see)

So, while I am still working on the quail pens, at least they are functioning, and have quail in them. Yay!!

CARS

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wow, your layer cages are roomy. Before I took out every other divider, those poor chickens were in a 12"dx6"wx12"h stall. Tight for sure!!!