Phone Bills--UGH

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did anyone truly cut their phone bill.
I can't seem too. My basic plan is like $30, then for $6 I get extended calling area, so that keeps Mom and a few friends out of long distance charges.....so that is $36 PLUS A MILLION little fees that gets me to like $45.

Then I got $23.95 DSL on there.

I don't mind the DSL right now cause it allows me to get calls thru and do alot of business on the phone......but the phone charge? I always heard that people had such low phone bills, like a total of $30 a month for basic.

Hmm...I don't know.

Just curious if any of you tackled the phone bill and won? I can't seem to for some reason. I hardly ever make long distance calls anyway and when I do I use Tony's cell cause it is free in the package.

just wondering if anyone has a tip that might help or how you handle this bill? ya never know who might hit on a good working idea for me!

thanks

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Recently(since hubby and Istarted budgeting), we cut our phone to the basic. It's $23.75ish (Bell lite) Long distance plan is about $20(primus) Internet is $17.95 (Bell WiMax.)

But, this is Canadian, so I know it won't apply to you. Before we were paying close to $50 for just local service--this included call waiting, call display etc. I don't miss it. I owuld like to get rid of the long distance plan, but all of our family is long distance, and so is my dh's work., so I guess it stays for now.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Perhaps dump it altogether and get an internet type phone?

I can talk to family overseas for free on my internet phone. (and let me tell you, when I get my sister on the phone - there is no stopping the YAP)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wildsky said:

I can talk to family overseas for free on my internet phone. (and let me tell you, when I get my sister on the phone - there is no stopping the YAP)
Do you use skype? I have wondered about internet type phone.

quercus21

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hello people, I'm new here and this is my first message.
If we want DSL, we have to continue having phone service with our phone company.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Wildsky said:

Do you use skype? I have wondered about internet type phone.
Yes, SKype. I have a cordless phone hooked up to my computer so I am not stuck in one spot - its neat.
THe person on the other side needs to have skype in order for it to be free. Or you pay as you go kinda - $10 lasts a long time.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My mom is local, so we don't use long distance. Phone bill runs about $25 a month I think?

Oh and dial up internet for $12.95 but dial up is all that is available, but if something else was available I still would only have dial up as I am a cheapskate!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Recently(since hubby and Istarted budgeting), we cut our phone to the basic. It's $23.75ish (Bell lite) Long distance plan is about $20(primus) Internet is $17.95 (Bell WiMax.)

But, this is Canadian, so I know it won't apply to you. Before we were paying close to $50 for just local service--this included call waiting, call display etc. I don't miss it. I owuld like to get rid of the long distance plan, but all of our family is long distance, and so is my dh's work., so I guess it stays for now.
Yup good old Bell...my story is exactly the same...and a few weeks ago I cut it all off as well. Gotta love that $5 networking charge they ding you with even on basic service

Have you actually gotten a bill yet? Because it is still $54.89 on my bill even with Home Phone lite...they told me 24.95 but charged me 42.95...plus all the crazy other charges they add on there...service area charge, network charge, 911 access charge, and touch tone service charge...Grrrrr!

Oh I see what you did, you have Primus as a long distance provider...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
quercus21 said:
hello people, I'm new here and this is my first message.
If we want DSL, we have to continue having phone service with our phone company.
Welcome to Sufficient Self!! :woot

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
We have ours locked in with a package deal. That runs out in Dec. tho'. We will probably drop our home phone since we all have cell phones.