picking the right rooster

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Which one shows the most potential of being a good rooster?

Protecting the girls
Telling and showing where food is
Warning of danger
Herding them around

But not agressive towards humans.

That's the one to keep.
i've not really noticed any of my roos doing a good job with this except my little Silkie Hansel. he's a perfect rooster.

i'm hoping the other boys will mature a bit and pick up some slack.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
...... I feel like an idiot. I've had my Roo, Goober, for over 3 years. I've always thought he was a silver wyandotte. We looked up all their breeds when they were teens (we got a mix batch from a store) and that's what he looked like.

A few weeks ago, Goob's first batch of daughters started laying. They're half RIR. And yet they're all puffy white, and laying BLUE and GREEN eggs. We were quite confused.

Then I saw rooster #3. And Goober looks EXACTLY like him. And looking at silver wyandotte photos, he doesn't look exactly like them. I feel so dumb now!
:lol::lol::lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm with dacjohns... who does the best job of taking care of the girls? even if he is aggressive with YOU (unless you have kids) then you can keep him a bay with a beatin' stick.

also - our light brahmas are pretty heavy - which can be hard on the smaller hens. we wanted to have larger chicks so we got a big roo... but it isnt great for the ladies as we have some very petite hens.

however, one of his sons, Little Pansy, Son of Big Pansy FredKiller... is turning out to be a good worker. he's starting to fill the power vacuum now that Fred is gone.

we had a little roo, he looked like your bachelor #1.. and he HATED The Big Man. seriously, he'd hide around the corner and wait until my hubby walked by...and then would fly at him!

that little rooster made a nice pot of noodles.....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't choose.
I would rule out the most aggressive. If he is aggressive to the hens, it's only a matter of time before he turns on you. So #1 is out.
I would cull #1, and see what happens with the other 2. It's hard to tell what they will do once the see an opening for the top spot.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Then I saw rooster #3. And Goober looks EXACTLY like him. And looking at silver wyandotte photos, he doesn't look exactly like them. I feel so dumb now!
:lol::lol::lol:
yeah, i'd say you have an EE on your hands. i've been trying to figure out the pedigree of my EEs, but it's almost impossible. maybe your roo and my #3 are Ameraucana/Silver Wyandotte crosses....

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
I would cull #1, and see what happens with the other 2. It's hard to tell what they will do once the see an opening for the top spot.
that's a good idea. i culled 4 roos last week and left the decision on these 3 hoping to see a clear winner. obviously, that hasn't happened. but i am leaning heavily towards #2 or #3, so culling Amelia, as sad as it will make me, sounds like a sensible plan.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I personally liked #3. He was prettiest. If he breeds good then I would keep him.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For what its worth, my Roo that looks like #3 is a very good protector. He is fine with me (runs away, won't attack) but a good Roo. More to consider!