Pickle/relish recipes

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good dill pickle recipe to make relish. We eat more of that than spears or slices.

Hubby wants bread and butter slices, though.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to male pickles... haven't for years... so I am drawing a blank...

Never made relish.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A pickle brine will work. I just want a good one. Don't want to waste all the work and food for one I find only for it to not be very tasty.

Need onion and pepper to go with the cucumbers for relish. That's a fairly consistent ratio amount that I've seen in most of the recipes I've browsed.

We're more likely to use the relish up as I make potato salad and egg salad a couple times a month. I also eat it on hotdogs when hubby gets a craving for them. I don't actually care much for the taste of hot dogs and use everything to cover it.

I've started getting cucumbers ripe so I need to get preserving.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you have a dill pickle mix you like, use that brine for your relish. ?

I use so little that I just buy a jar. Did make some pepper relish last yr that was good. Still eating from 1 of only 4 jars. 😁 Just had too many peppers to use up.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I make a zucchini relish that I absolutely love. Have to find a recipe each time I make it. It is quite sweet, has turmeric, red pepper, onion, and a bit of corn starch to thicken it up a bit. I'll see if I can find it, since that's my next project!

I have a total of 25 pints of dilly beans, thanks to a friend giving me a batch of beans last week! My 20 y.o. grand son helped me with all of the prep and processing for the last 16 jars! He saved me a lot of work!

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love relish and spreadable pickles, but I am USELESS at recipes! I hope you've found a good one.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to attempt to make a refrigerator relish today. There aren't many cucumbers ready, so not enough to process. I'll probably just make up a recipe, but it will be a sweet relish, but just mildly sweet.

I think for a dill relish, just use a dill pickle recipe, with the cucumbers diced. That's what I would do.