Pickled eggs!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know about botulism risk with them. The directions from my co-worker is at room temp. Maybe I should just throw them out!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have pickled eggs before, and they are quite tasty. They do not taste at all like plain boiled eggs - I don't think that would be possible with the vinegar used. Unfortunately, I am the only one here who would eat them, so I don't do it anymore, it isn't worth it. I can't imagine pressure canning them - I suppose it might be possible (but what do I know? I am not a canner), but the extra cooking would make the eggs really tough I would think. Remember that "room temperature" these days is usually a lot warmer than it used to be; I would feel quite comfortable keeping pickled eggs (lots of vinegar!) in a cool cellar (if only I had such a thing! :() for a few weeks, certainly, and possibly longer. Also, small/pullet/quail eggs are good for this; I have a Hamburg hen whose eggs are by nature small, and these were perfect.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We never can them because of the things quoted in the NCHFP info Sally posted.

And we do always store them refrigerated. Typically we try to finish them within a week. They get stronger as they sit and we don't like them 'overly pickled'.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
So much for storing eggs by pickling them. :/I was looking for a way to keep the excess longer term since they take up a lot of room in the fridge now. I guess I keep giving them away to my co-workers as long as the girls are producing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I grew up in Northern Wisconsin. Every single bar had a giant jar of pickled eggs on the counter and it NEVER saw the inside of a refrigerator. Anyone ever get botulism? Not that I knew. I think the entire population of Wausau would be dead if pickled eggs at room temp were as big a risk as they say.

I want to know how to pickle them in the shell. I have quail eggs are they too pretty to peel.

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I found this recipe on BYC a while back, luckily I copied it to my recipies to try folder because I can't find the thread it was in. I think it was closed... :( It's for quail eggs, but I'm sure you can substitute chicken if you want!!

Cindys Spicy Pickled Quail Eggs

Instructions

In enameled or stainless steel saucepan, add all ingredients except eggs and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep for at least two hours.
To easily hard boil & peel all fresh eggs, even right from the coop:
Bring water in 3 qt saucepan to a rolling boil. Place eggs in pot on slotted spoon or ladle. Some eggs may crack but they should still be ok. I do remove any unsightly ones. Boil quail eggs for 10-12 minutes, chicken eggs for 14-15 minutes. Pour hot water off and replace with cold water. Keep switching water out until eggs are cool. You can use ice cubes but cold tap water usually works just fine. Transfer eggs to colander once cool.
Peel eggs in a bowl of cold water and shells should slip right off, even fresh ones from the coop/pen. For quail eggs, remove membrane. Its ok to leave them on but once pickled in the jars, it will look sloppy.

Pack approximately 23-25 quail eggs per jar (jars should be sterilized and hot at this point). Ladle hot liquid and spices over eggs and wipe rim of jars clean with a damp towel leaving headspace. Place lids on the jars and screw on band tops. Process jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes (once water returns to a boil). Remove from the hot water and set aside to cool. Jars should seal as they cool. Any jars that do not seal properly should be refrigerated and consumed within 2 weeks.

Allow properly sealed jars to sit at least 5 weeks before eating. OK to eat sooner but flavors dont fully combine until at least 5 weeks. For stronger flavor, poke holes in eggs with a toothpick before placing in the jars. Refrigerate after opening. Update 7/13/09: I just opened my last jar that I made in Feb and it was the best one yet.

Yield: 2 pints
Ingredients
4 dozen Quail eggs
3 cups white vinegar
4 teaspoons canning/pickling or sea salt
1 heaping TBSP Cayenne pepper
6 garlic cloves, crushed
12-15 Peppercorns
10-15 whole allspice
One large yellow or small white/red onion, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
Thin slice of fresh ginger root
2 bay leaves
2 fresh hot peppers, such as Serrano, Tabasco, or Habanero sliced.
10-15 slices of pickled jalapeno slices (or more to taste)
Fresh parsley
Fresh thyme
Fresh dill (optional)
Feel free to add a few dashes of Tabasco sauce or Habanero hot sauce

Note: Brine may make be enough to make a third pint so dont hesitate to boil more eggs. Top jars off with vinegar if you run just a little short.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have canned pickled eggs. I have some in the cabinet , on the canning shelves and in the fridge. I have found very limited information about them.. due to the risk I am sure. But.. when faced with 84 eggs in the fridge and no room for groceries .. you get brave ;) And now.. with a couple of rounds under my belt. I am getting really brave. Here is what I do..

Boil, cool and peel the eggs.
Make up pickling liquid
put peeled eggs in pickling liquid and bring to a hard boil
(makes them get better flavor quicker)
Boil 10 minutes or until the vinegar smell makes the neighbors come knock on the door.
Pack hot eggs in hot sterilized jars and water bath ( already boiling) for 20 minutes.

Remember, Everything is HOT, very HOT so be careful! Its also important that everything is as hot as possible.

I realize some folks are going to think I am nuts for doing this and even worse for sharing how. Here is my thoughts on that.. I am without a doubt nuts, but me nor none of my family ( or my dog , she loves them) have gotten sick. If you are scared for it, dont do it.