Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had a whole patch of them growing last year, and that was the best pic I had.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I sometimes wish I could find a way to market the 4 leafers, I find them all the time. Shocks my friends when we're walking along, and all of a sudden, I'll stop and pick one. :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Does anyone else remember those clear molded wall decorations that people made in the 70s?

My parents had a friend who made us a set of 3 Orcas (Killer Whales [sic]) for our bathroom wall--they were made in a mold out of some very hard clear plastic or fibreglass stuff, and had tiny seashells set into whatever they were made of before they set--kind like a molded jell-o salad. They were backed with black felt, and looked very striking on the wall. Lots of people we knew had similar decorations in various shapes, but I have no idea how they were made. :(

If you know anyone who did this kind of craft, you could use the same method to turn your four-leafed clovers into small pocket "good luck charms" that I'm sure would sell like hot cakes :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Casting resin. You get the clear stuff and the catalyst and coloring. You can get molds or kits to make your own mold. Wax and dental tools work well for making the imprint to use for the mold. You just heat the tools as needed. There is casting wax that works much better than candle wax, but candle wax works fine for just simple shapes. I used alginate to make some of the molds, but it's not for reuse. You can get latex mold stuff you can just brush over the item in layers that works very well.

I used it for making parts for costumes. Amazon carries the stuff. Model railroad stores carry stuff for doing this stuff as well.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Casting resin. You get the clear stuff and the catalyst and coloring. You can get molds or kits to make your own mold. Wax and dental tools work well for making the imprint to use for the mold. You just heat the tools as needed. There is casting wax that works much better than candle wax, but candle wax works fine for just simple shapes. I used alginate to make some of the molds, but it's not for reuse. You can get latex mold stuff you can just brush over the item in layers that works very well.

I used it for making parts for costumes. Amazon carries the stuff. Model railroad stores carry stuff for doing this stuff as well.
THANK YOU! :hugs:

I never knew what this stuff was, but now we might even try it (I have really arty teens). I'm guessing a model railroad/hobby shop might have instructions as well?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They may or may not have the clear stuff. The one I went to always did because it was used for water and ice in landscapes. They should have everything though. Check their prices and compare with online as well.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lucky charms are a great idea....(pressed dried first)

I use resin to coat my art works...

envirotec lite...is good and easy
simply mix equal parts of both...
no extra hardener...cause that makes it tacky

the trick is to to place both mixes first in hot water to warm...before mixing..(this makes a HUGE difference)
and let it sit again..after you have stirred for the required 2 minutes...
(not to long...as there is only so much time before it hardens)
and then go over you work with a heat gun

all of thease steps make it so there aren't air bubbles..
which when i first started using caused some disapointments...

but the options with resin is endless.. is clear but you can add color or sparkles to the mix

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
And, it made it to the POW! :ya
YAY!! and it is a great one!!! I have a couple areas in my yard where there are a few plants that put out nothing but 4 leaved clovers(boy say that three times fast :lol: ) if you borrow books from me there are often a four leaf clover dried and pressed in them.. I read outside on nice days when the kids are sleeping or playing on the swings(grand babies I mean) I'll pick one when I see it and make a wish and squish it in the book! My Mother in Law has found many of them.. she said it makes her smile to have one pop out into her lap..

Status
Not open for further replies.