Pie Crust Soft White Wheat

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally was able to get something to open my supper pail of Soft White Wheat and ground some of it up this morning..
Does anyone have a recipe for a single and or double pie crust using fresh ground soft white wheat. ???
Thank you.
I have a small container of lard also... if possible I'd like a recipe that makes a flakey crust..

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Soft wheat should be great for pie crust. It wont try to rise as much as hard wheat, but I think you could use any normal pie recipes with it.
Good luck.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't actually tried to make piecrust from soft wheat flour. If you are hesitant because of family tastes, as I am, you might try half soft white wheat, and half all purpose, which is what I plan to do when I get that far. And then up the percentage as far as you can. Soft white is pretty mild, so I think that even with my family I might be able to get away with it ;).
As far as lard is concerned I use a 2/3 butter to 1/3 lard ratio, and receive only compliments for my pastry. 1 1/2 cups flour (so far, all purpose), pinch of salt (or none, if using salted butter), several gratings from a nutmeg, and half a cup of fat (butter and lard). Mix all together however you normally do - pastry blender, food processor, fingertips, whatever - and then add up to 1/3 cup ice water (less is better, and certainly not more). Pat the pastry out into a disc, wrap in wax paper, and chill for at least half an hour. This is enough for a one crust pie.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That should make a double crust, but I'd add some salt and a bit more flour since an all whole wheat dough is a bit trickier to roll out if you are used to working with white flour. Adding an egg with the liquid will help but is not necessary. I use all soft white wheat for my pastry dough. It is wonderful and close to the taste of white flour. You'll love it.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.... so far for the recipes for me to try... I will make a pie sometime today.. that way we will have dessert tonight and tomorrow...