Pie!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
pi pie 1.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Bears? Good heavens I will die, I will… @chefsdreams your protocol reminded me of something funny now. Years ago we went on school trips out into the "veld". My brother told me they were warned against snakes and the teacher was asked what to do if they come across one. He replied and told them to take a step either to the left, or the right, then a step or two backwards, before turning around and making a run for it. One of the kids asked why the step to the side first and he responded: "If you take a step back, you're going to step in your own crap!"

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Chicken/duck/turkey pot pie recipes? I have a couple of ducks in the freezer.
WhatEVER recipe you use it will taste great, but be aware that these are ways to Stretch your meat. You may think that a little bit of duck meat won't be enough, but enough duck meat for a meal will probably be 4x as much as you need for a pie!
I don't make my chickens into chicken pot pie for this very reason!! I like my crust fresh, so when I find enough chicken for a chicken salad sandwich for two for lunch, THAT's the amount of meat will make a pie for 4.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we moved here 22 years ago, the old woman living in the little house next to ours (that we eventually bought and added to our property when she died) used to feed all kinds of wildlife....cracked corn for the deer, marshmallows and peanuts for the raccoons, peanut butter smeared on the trees for the birds and birdfeeders. One evening a black bear was just about to rip down one of her feeders when she appeared out the back door...about 15 feet from the bear....hollering, "I told you to stay away from my birdfeeders!" and tossed the bear a small slab of bacon. It worked, the bear went over and ate the bacon, and she closed the door.

Another time there was a bear in her backyard, so I grabbed my camera, opened the kitchen door, stepped out on the stoop to snap the picture when I noticed another bear about 10 feet to my left just looking at me. I never moved so fast in my life!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the country stores where we sell our products makes over 30 varieties of pies...all made on sight. People come from miles around for their pies.

6589677347_fc5100df28_b.jpg

IMG_53761.jpg

village-farmer-and-bakery.jpg

• Apple
  • Apple Crumb
  • Apple Walnut
  • No Sugar Apple
  • Blueberry
  • Blueberry Crumb
  • No Sugar Blueberry
  • Cherry
  • Cherry Crumb
  • Cherry Cheesecake Tart
  • Coconut Custard
  • Fruit of the Forest
  • NS Fruit of the Forest
  • Fruit of the forest crumb
  • Mixed Berry
  • Mixed Berry Crumb
  • Lemon Meringue
  • Peach
  • Peach Crumb
  • Pecan
  • Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Crumb
  • Pumpkin Cream Cheese
  • Red Raspberry
  • Red Raspberry Crumb
  • Strawberry Rhubarb
  • Shoo - Fly
  • Sweet Potato
  • And Many More!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Chicken/duck/turkey pot pie recipes? I have a couple of ducks in the freezer.
Boil up two small-medium ducks with a chicken stock cube, then debone the meat and shred it. Keep the juices from cooking, you'll use it later, but pour it into another container.

Fry up as many mushrooms as you'd like to add in the pot you cooked the meat in, in some butter. Add one packet each of chicken noodle soup powder and mushroom soup powder to the fried mushrooms and butter. It's going to form a dryish paste, but fry it a bit over low heat, then slowly start spooning the juices from the meat into the soup powder paste, loosening it and thinning it, while adding the juices… You'll eventually have a thick soupy sauce. No add the shredded meat to this and add enough of the juice to make it soupy, but not too runny. Let this mixture boil for about 15 minutes, keeping an eye on the moisture in there, add more juices if it gets too dry. Once it's all cooked through and thick enough for a pie filling, put your pies together and enjoy.

Frying the soup powder like that has an amazing effect on the flavour, it really brings it out, so it's well worth the effort! I've tried this with creamy chicken soup and found chicken noodle soup has the best flavour and taste for this recipe.