Pig-ervention....French Canadian recipe link located! p3

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:drool

This is an intervention....BBH admitted on another thread that she has never cooked porkchops, and has a sizeable hog in her backyard, getting bigger by the moment.

So for all of us who are raising pigs for the first time, here is a thread for all recipes pig. I will start with my favorite simple pork chop recipe.

In a large cast iron skillet, brown bone-in chops on both sides in lard or better yet, old bacon grease. Remove browned chops to a plate to get all the chops well-browned. The cheapest chops are best in this recipe.

Brown a large sliced onion or two, and when almost done, add a couple....or a few....cloves of minced garlic and saute' lightly.

Add water or chicken broth to the pan and deglaze. Add the chops and simmer on low for 45 minutes, re-arranging chops every few minutes so all spend sometime on the bottom. You can cover the pan if you have a cover that fits tightly and re-arrange the chops less often.

Just before serving, put some cold water in a cup and add a heaping spoonful of cornstarch, stirring until smooth. Turn the heat up to get the sauce boiling and add the cornstarch mixture, stirring constantly and boil for a minute or two until the gravy thickens and becomes a bit translucent. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat and serve. YUM!

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my, I have visions of a finished pig living happily ever after in the freezer!
BBH....will a couple photos make your drool and motivate you to try some of these? :D

Piccata Pork Chops

recipe_porkpiccata.jpg

Pineapple Stuffed Pork Chops

recipepinepork.jpg

Mexicali Pork Chops

recipemexchops.jpg

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My mom worked nights and used to cook pork chops like this...

Brown the chops, put them in the slow cooker and add 2 cans of golden mushroom soup. DO NOT add any water. Let is simmer for a couple of hours.

We would come home from school to a full crock pot. When dad got home we would eat it with rice and a salad. We were sure to save some for mom, but it wasn't easy! :D

Now I make this and use chicken and mushroom soup because it is much lower in carbs. To make it even better make your own mushroom soup and add that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is getting cooler and it is time to get this recipe quest going....pigs are growing, and mouths are watering!

A friend (my European cheese-taster and cheerleader and all-around cool lady) asked today about head cheese. Specifically, something she thinks is spelled sultze and is German. I couldn't find a recipe online....plenty of head cheese recipes, but none for sultze. ORChick?

I am also looking for a very old-fashioned recipe for cretons, another head cheese made by my Canadian French Memere (grandmother.) The online recipes seem modernized, calling for ground pork and bread crumbs, etc, and not the gelatinous glop that I remember....and found to be absolutely disgusting! :sick

This is truly love. That I am going to ask the butcher for two cleaned and cut up hogs' heads because I will make sultze for my friend and cretons for my father. Sheesh. :p Ick-ick-ICK.

ETA: I am looking for very old, traditional recipes using basic ingredients and nothing modern....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
freemotion said:
:drool

This is an intervention....BBH admitted on another thread that she has never cooked porkchops, and has a sizeable hog in her backyard, getting bigger by the moment.
Monique, you totally just pork-outed me! :lol:

eta: and for that you get a kiss

912_this_little_piggy_091.jpg

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our family just received our farm-raised 1/2 a pig this weekend. I must RAVE about the flavor difference, or it could just be all in my head, since I know how our pig was raised and butchered :p I will never eat another type of pork ever again! We would love to raise our own, but not enough room prohibits us.

Thank you for these delish recipes and I look forward to making them :drool Keep em' coming!

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
because free, your piggies know you cook porkchops! :lol: BBH's piggie is mocking her.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here you go, free. This sounds good. It might be wise to test the gelling capabilities of the broth, and add some plain gelatine if needed (just in case the calf's foot isn't available :lol:)

Slze - Omas Rezept - Grandmother's recipe

Ihr wollt Slze einmal selbst zubereiten - hier ist das Rezept, dazu natrlich Remoulade und Bratkartoffeln. You want to make Suelze - here is the recipe; and of course Remoulade sauce and fried potatoes go with it.

Personen: 6 servings
Vorbereitungszeit: 1h:0min prep. time
Kochzeit: 0h:40min cooking time
Fertig in: 1h:40min total time
Herkunftsland: Deutschland land of origin: Germany
Das brauchen Sie dazu: You will need:

1 kg Schweinefleisch mit Knochen (Eisbein, Kopf) - 2# of pork, with bones (knuckle of pork, or pig's head)
500g mageres Schweinefleisch 1# lean pork meat
Salz Salt
2 Lorbeerblatt 2 bay leaves
Gewrzkrner pickling spice, whole seeds, not ground
1 bis 2 Zwiebeln 1-2 onions
1 saure Gurke 1 pickled cucumber
Essig vinegar
Und so wirds gemacht: And this is how it is made:

Das Fleisch mit etwa 21 Wasser, Gewrzen und Zwiebel auf kleiner Flamme gar kochen. Simmer the meat, spices, onion in 2 quarts of water until the meat is cooked through
Das von den Knochen gelste Fleisch in kleine Stcke schneiden, die Gurkenwrfe1chen untermischen und in eine kalt ausgesplte Schssel oder Form geben. Remove the meat from the bone, and cut into small pieces. Dice the pickled cucumber, and mix with the meat. Rinse a bowl or mold with cold water (drain, but don't dry it) and place the pork mixture in the bowl
Die durchgeseihte Brhe recht krftig mit Essig und Salz abschmecken, ber das Fleisch gieen und leicht umrhren. Pour the liquid through a sieve, and season well with vinegar and salt; pour over the meat, and stir gently.
Kalt gestellt erstarren lassen. Chill until set
Das sich obenauf ansetzende Fett kann nach Belieben abgenommen werden. Remove any fat which rises to the top if you like
Die Aspikmasse wird durchsichtiger. wenn die Brhe geklrt wird. The aspic will be clearer if the broth is clarified (check any basic cookbook for method)
Enthlt das Slzenfleisch wenig Knochen, ist es ratsam, einen Kalbsfu mitzukochen. If your meat doesn't have many bones it is suggested that a calf's foot be included
Slze wird durch Remoulade oder Sahnemeerrettich gut ergnzt. Suelze is enhanced with Remoulade Sauce or creamy horseradish

Edited because I hit submit instead of preview

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know someone on another forum who is French Canadian, and a good cook. I'll ask her about your other recipe.