Pizza is now a veggie...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
What do you think about Congress voting to call pizza a veggie for the purpose of the food pyramid and school lunches?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Congress drives me nuts. Don't they have anything more important to do? Put those lazy bu**s out on our places so they know what real work is. /rant

But, lets see, tomato type pizza sauce, maybe some onions and peppers, olives, possibly meat, cheese, bread. They can call it whatever they want, sounds like good chow to me.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used to argue that pizza covered ALL the bases with the food pyramid, at least mine always did :lol:

Calling it a vegetable just limits its delicious contribution to the pyramid as a whole, I say! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what food group do you put 'made dishes' like casseroles, pizza, stir fry with meat :lol:

nah, I won't ever think of pizza being in the veggie group. it belongs in a few groups depending on toppings :p

Congress...geez --sad they do not have a few more important items to attend....ya'd think

me&thegals

Reaction score
Hey, I can agree! My homemade pizza hits all the food groups, including a mountain of veggies. This stuff, however, would be pretty tough to call vegetal enough to be a vegetable. Just the sauce--no greens, onions, garlic, peppers, etc.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is true. truly how can they call pizza a veggie? for the sake of school lunches?

what a crock literally :lol:

but ya know after a few years of hearing that a ton of kids are going to say, mom I eat veggies, I eat pizza! :barnie

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe next year I'll grow some in the garden since ya know it's a veggie now and all! Lol. What about meat lovers pizza? Is it a veggie too now? Btw tomato is not even a vegitable it's a fruit.

me&thegals

Reaction score
dacjohns said:
It's the tomato sauce.
Right. From what I hear, the processed foods manufacturers pushed hard for this, all based on 2 T of tomato sauce. True, tomato sauce is pretty dense and loaded, but I still wouldn't imagine enough to allow pizza to be called a vegetable.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Gals is right....way toooooooo far of a stretch