Planning an Apothecary-type (herb) Garden

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another good one that I swear by is St. John's Wort. It covers at least depression and insomnia. I can vouche on the depression part of it for sure.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a massive garden project. Goodluck. Do you have hibiscus? I read that the flowers can be used to treat high blood pressure too. Dried and made into teas.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always thought hibiscus was a tropical flower so wouldn't do well here, but just looked it up and it looks like there are some varieties that are good for zones 4-9. we're zone 5. wouldn't we, well ... I, have to mulch and cover at the first hint of cold weather?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
MyKidLuvsGreenEgz said:
While I'd like to call this an apothecary garden, looking up that word makes it very medicinal sounding. We also plan to use herbs to flavor, like sage and rosemary, make teas out of the mint, and so on. Any idea what to call this kind of a garden? It will have herbs, certain flowers, and a few fruits.
Don't be so quick to think that Sage and Rosemary are only good for flavor... Both also have medicinal uses. I actually have Rosemary essential oil, I'll have to look up the uses when I get home, and I know it serves a lot of purposes. Herbs and spices that have been used for thousands of years are known to be healing and healthy for the body, which is a large part of why they were used. They don't just add flavor! I have done some reading lately that Turmeric does a lot to reduce inflammation. I just found a recipe for Turmeric "tea" that I am dying to try... Maybe tonight, it is cold and snowy after all! If I can remember to grab my Essential Oil Desk Reference when I get home I'll look up Rosemary and Sage for you. As I recall Rosemary is very useful... too many things to remember though!