Plant Food Experiment...Now I Stink!!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
This was so funny!

I soooo understand about the fish smell!
I worked a second job at a seafood counter. My first day the boss said I would never get the fish smell out of my clothes, but that she was told Oxyclean would remove the odor.
We wore latex gloves to handle the fish so I never got it on my hands unless they ripped, usually by non stinky lobster, so for future reference wear impermeable gloves.
Our general counter cleaner was industrial strength chlorox but it never eliminated the smell in the garbage disposal or drains.
I wonder if the manufacturers of garden fish oil products would have suggestions.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I used to use fish emulsion for my plants and the raccoons went crazy trying to find the fish. They knocked over pots and dug up some plants searching for the fish scraps.

Got smart (or desperate) after that and went to an auto parts store. Got a new transmission fluid funnel. They have the super long skinny spout. I poked it into the dirt and poured some of the stuff down the funnel. It went deep enough into the soil to not attract the furry bandits. If the soil was hard for the funnel to go into, I poked a hole with a long fat screwdriver first.

Don't know how to get the smell of skin.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To avoid fishy smells we bury the leftover fish parts about a foot deep. Then plant on top of it. It is the best fertilizer.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I want to know too. How did the dinner go?
Imsorry.gif
to take so long to get back to this post!! As it happened, the dinner guest got tied up, (not literally) at work. And couldn't make it. But they came this week instead. And the fish smell is ALL gone now.

I do have my Igloo container still filled with this fish emulsion stuff. I had planned to use it every week or so on the plants. I hesitate now to do it again. It didn't kill any of the plants, so I suppose they like it, some of them look greener.

I am busy with a wedding, a young lady in the congregation is getting married next weekend.. Lots yet to do!!