Plant Food Experiment...Now I Stink!!

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Goodness! I got this great idea a few weeks ago. Now I am wondering if it was such a good idea after all.

I trade fresh eggs for raw fish scraps with a friend of ours that is a Sushi Chef, he and his wife have a small restaurant here and serve the best sushi in town. Anyhow, I normally "plant" a few pieces of fish at the base of my shrubs, citrus, fruit trees, etc.

Well, I got this idea of making a fish emulsion to put on all the plants in the garden.

so... I put the fish in my Vitamix, made a slurry of sorts out of the fish. Then, I added the fish slurry to my Manure Tea bag. I have a big Igloo drink dispenser that I use to make Manure tea. I hang an old pillowcase half filled with steer manure in the container. It works great.

This morning, I decided the fish and steer manure had "steeped" long enough. I took a bit and diluted it, put in on the garden. Bucket by bucket full. It was quite a bit of work to do the entire front and back yards!!

Now all I can smell is "fish" it is mostly on my hands, even after taking a shower. And the entire yard is very fishy smelling.

I know my husband will have something to say when he comes home tonight. He just called to inform me we are having guests for dinner!

Why oh why did I pick today to do this experiment!!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My husband found that funny. When I tried to do manure tea I thought I would never hear the end of it about the smell. I can just imagine fish with it.

The YardFarmers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great ideas! And lots of hard work on your part. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has unexpected "adventures". (Still trying to forget the time I tried to make homemade suet and seeds and tried to render down the fat myself- good grief, the whole house got smoky, oily, the smoke detector went off, the kids could smell it across the yard when they got off the school bus and a neighbor stopped by right in the middle of the mess to share some green peppers!)

Hoping for breezes in the right direction and good growing for your plants.!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Have you tried using lemon to get it off? Or any other citrus if you are out of lemons?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol:
Oh my!

Have you tried wiping your hands over the metal on the faucet then rinsing? That is supposed to help get rid of onion, fish, and other strong scents.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
:lol:
Oh my!

Have you tried wiping your hands over the metal on the faucet then rinsing? That is supposed to help get rid of onion, fish, and other strong scents.
I know stainless steel takes off garlic and onion... It was great when I had my old kitchen faucet, I just rubbed my hands of that after cutting onions or garlic. Now I have one of those "white" faucets.

I will try that. The stuff smells much like a cross between a fishery, and a barn with a dead body in it.

chickenjoe

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Try making a paste out of baking soda and wash you hand with it might work. I know people that go hunting, they take bath in it to get rid of their sense.

Latest posts