Planting by the moon phases

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe the word "lunatic" is accociated with "moon sick" and has come from more craziness happening at the full of the moon.

My mom was an ER nurse, and they had more weird things happen at full moons.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yes, lunatic comes from the word for moon.

As for the tides, they're at the highest during the new moon, but they're also high during the full moon. There are other factors as well that affect the tides-like storms. If a hurricane hits during the new or full moon, couple that w/the storm surge and it can cause quite a bit of flooding. I hear about this often since I live between the ocean and a bay.

Actually, the whole earth is affected to a point by this pull, we just don't really see it. http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/tidal-lak/ And, there's even disagreement amongst scientist as to the affect that it has on larger (think the Great) lakes. I've never been to New Zealand, but I've heard that you can see tides on one of the lakes there.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am a lunatic. My babies were born on full moons. ;)

HomesteaderJeff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I just wanted to let you know there is a book out called the moon sign book by LLEWELLYN'S. Sort of the bible of gardening by the phases of the moon. A new issue is done every year and there's tons of info in there similar to the chart provided here already but theres a lot more.
This is my first year using it so I am still learning but it seems to work pretty well. One thing I know for sure is I have cut my lawn 4 times so far this year. Neighbors have cut way more, usually once a week so I know it works when it comes to lawn cutting. I usually cut when it says to trim to retard growth. In the waning phase I believe it is. To increase lushness cut in the waxing phase.