Planting grocery store garlic?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I was at the store getting garlic and noticed some of the heads were sprouting...can I plant those in my garden or not?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Its the wrong time of year to plant garlic - but maybe in way, way southern CA that doesn't matter so much. You would certainly get garlic greens from it - think thicker garlic chives. If they are sprouting already anyway I should think it would be worth the experiment :).

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
All the garlic I planted this year is from the grocery store. I ordered some but it arrived to late to plant. My grocery store garlic has done well so far.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Be careful though, I heard they are having disease problems with the garlic being grown in California. If your garlic is from CA, maybe plant somewhere you don't intend to grow garlic long-term, just in case.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The garlic I have in the back yard is also from the grocery store. I don't remember when I planted it but it's been in the ground for a couple of years, maybe two. I honestly didn't think it would grow and then I didn't know when to harvest. :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Be careful though, I heard they are having disease problems with the garlic being grown in California. If your garlic is from CA, maybe plant somewhere you don't intend to grow garlic long-term, just in case.
Oh, GREAT!! :th Yet another thing to worry about!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you know that 70 percent of the garlic sold in the US comes from China? Thats what I heard from a garlic producer in Idaho.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Locally, most of the garlic IS from China. Although about 2% of it is from California. Another good reason to grow your own! :)

Latest posts