Planting grocery store garlic?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey all....the only reason that I was even considering plating grocery store garlic was because I had some that had sprouted green shoots...still have some in my fridge....waiting another month or so to pop it into the ground.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We have gotten some great garlics from Vermont Bean.

The Inchelium Red, German Porcelain and Spanish Roja are planted in the fall.

But Elephant, California White, and Italian Late are all planted in spring.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dace, you might consider using the sprouty grocery store garlic for garlic greens (snip and use like chives or scallions, before they get too big and tough and strong), that way you get use out of them without being stuck with 'just' commercial softneck stuff :)

The best garlic for planting in the home garden, IMHO, is stuff bought locally from a farm stand or a little table in someone's driveway or that sort of thing. People in your area who grow and sell garlic themselves usually have good varieties for your growing conditions, and always tastier than what you get at the store.

Of course this is easier if you live in a fairly garlic-growing region to begin with (as here in Ontario, or in western NY state where I most recently lived)... nothing wrong with mail-order if that's what it takes ;)

Pat, waiting for things to cool enough for the fall planting, and having a hard time remembering to leave enough Music (variety) garlic, which is reasonably tasty and has conveniently huge cloves, to PLANT, as I am on the verge of accidentally eating it *all* and having none left over to put in the garden for next year, eep :p

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I had garlic ice cream at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, it was suprisingly good.

Pat - I have the same problem with my 'seed' green beans, potatoes, garlic, ect...... they're all so tasty.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I'm just revisiting this thread. I have at least two garlic cookbooks and I'm pretty sure one has a garlic ice cream recipe. I'll dig it out and share it.

Latest posts