planting out cabbage transplants

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Finally our weather has calmed down enough to transplant my cabbage plants outside. Due to the late spring they are larger than ever before. The lower stems seem quite fragile. I know you can bury tomatoes deeper than dirtline, has anybody tried that with cabbage or brocolli? Should I just plant them as usual and hope they don't break off. I have 30 plants and would like to lose as few as I can. Thanks

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This is me, I always bury them under a little bit like you would tomato plants. Never had a problem.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree with Buff on this one. I'd dig them a bit deeper as well.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Figures I get all kinds of heirloom(expensive) brocolli and cabbage and kale seeds and we have the latest spring since I moved here. I hope most of them make. They go out tomorrow.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you did harden them off right? and burying them a bit deep(as long as the growing point is not buried) won't hurt them a bit.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hardened off like rocks. Hope I can untangle them without breaking them. Now we have on and off rain for a few days then one or two days of low 30's nights. Should I put them out and hope for the best? I am going to put out the strawberries too, they have been in the fridge for almost 2 weeks. Rain gear and boots.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd wait on the strawberries. Actually, if it's super wet, I'd wait on everything. If you plant into mud it will just get super compacted.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with me&thegals-if you have mud it will just compact around the roots and the plants won't thrive. I'd wait on the strawberries too-if you have them in the fridge they should still be okay. I have to go and pick up some strawberries too. but it is a couple months out for me to plant stuff(maybe some peas it is good friday)

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didn't think about the mud factor and we have lots of clay. I was dreading going out and getting soaking wet after just getting over a cold any way. Still got to give the chickens the option of coming out, maybe if it clears up a bit. Can you tell I don't want to go out there,lol.