Planting Roots

Jaxom22

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It's never to soon to plan in adance! While I might not be currently working and my wife just filed for SSI disability a little over a month ago, we're trying to figure out where or next move should be.

The question is where would we get the best bang for our buck? While there may be some unknowns, such as when I will find employment, and at what income level.

There's also my wife's SSI. She initially applied in 2007. Our lawyer is attempting to file for all the back pay above and beyond a monthly befit. Depending on this out come will have a major impact on which direction we go.

Anyways. Our current choices are to stay in Missouri. Although we'd move further out away from the city.

Another option is Florida. We both have friends down there and they love it. Looking on Zillow, we can see some fantastic deals on homes on a few acers that could use a bit of tlc.

Would like to hear what other's think of the Tampa area of Florida, or the Jefferson county area of Missouri.

And just for yucks any other ideas where we could get a good deal?

Jaxom22

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
All states have something or other. Hurricanes can hit from Brownsville Tx to Maine. Would hate to be in NYC when the next cat 5 hurricane hits there.

Here in the midwest we've extremes from with sub-zero temp and snow to blistering heat followed by tornado laden thunderstorms.

Often overlooked is the threat of earthquakes here. If you're unfamiliar, read up on the New Madrid quakes of 1812-1813. If another one of that magnitude hit today kiss Memphis goodbye.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can't dwell on the what if's in life, or you'd never get out of bed. You can of course prepare for these things. Good idea for those of us wanting to be self sufficient, eh?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too true, Jaxom. In setting up my disaster preparedness plans, I prioritized according to likeliness of happening; so here at least, wildfire is an every-year fear, while earthquakes, volcano eruption, and terrorism/war are possible-but-unlikely.

That said, you might want to take a look at the Pacific Northwest...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, all states have something. I was just responding to your request for folks opinion of Florida. My opinion is that Fl has hurricanes, lol!

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast - elevation - 20 ft - so I know little bit about hurricanes and they are a BIG deal to me!

However, the good thing about a hurricane is that you know it's coming...plenty of time to make your decision about staying or going.

I could NOT deal with a wildfire. My hat is off to you Britesea... that would be toooo stressful for me.

Hope you find your perfect place, Jaxom :)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've been very lucky so far- Only twice have fires come close enough for us to actually see the flames.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You also want to look at things like taxes, insurance, regulations, etc. For instance around here, I know areas around here where you can have horses, but no goats or chickens and other areas where you have to have 5 acres for a horse!

Jaxom22

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I apperciate all comments. Deb, that's the information I'm really looking for. Of couse opinion is welcome as well. For example my wife was just reading that Florida is one of the most stressed out states. I can see why, when you've an 11% unemployment rate!

With a child still in school that's another issue. One that we're totally shocked by how many schools across the country are bad, REALLY bad!

Latest posts