Planting trees for shade and windbreak

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I found this article and thought it was pretty interesting. And, we almost have trees planted this way. On the east side, there's just a small space w/no trees in our yard, but the neighbor has one in theirs. And on the west, we have the woods. We have some evergreens on the north, but they're not that big. But, if I ever get the type of property I want, this is what I'll be doing. I'm all for saving money.

Not only does it help reduce your energy bill, but it can also help w/global warming to a point since it will keep the sun from shining directly on the ground. When I was working over the summer we did a comparison of temps in a meadow and in the woods. I'm thinking there was at least a 10 degree difference. And that's just one of the benefits.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to plant a wind break, but I can't follow their directions. Our weather and wind comes in from the West and Southwest.

Cedar and fir will do ok, in some spots, but we have that 40 acre pond to the SW and there is a 35 acre one connected by a short steam to it on it's SW side. Wind just whips in here. In the month of summer it can be quite nice. I've been letting the willows and ash that come up just grow where they want out that way. I'm hoping for anything that will slow down the wind.

I've thought about just planting some tall shrubs along side the driveway to reduce the amount that hits the side of the house.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Even deciduous trees can block the wind to a point if there's enough of them. We have mainly oaks and sassafras at the north end of the yard, then there's a clearing w/a log cabin in it, then woods. And that does block the wind to a point.