planting vines/plants for bees

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are searching for some land to build our little farm. I want to get into raising bees. Maybe 1 or 2 hives. One tract of land we looked at had tons of wild wysteria growing all over. It got me thinking. What kind of vines or plants would make bees happy? I plan on planting a garden and fruit trees but was looking for something else too. I plan on keeping the hives inside a 10x10 dog kennel to keep out goats, chickens and whatnot and wondered about some kind of flowering vine to grow in the chain link. Any suggestions?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If a flower has a scent, it will attract bees. But, different types of plants give a different taste to the honey. If you can buy honey locally, I'd go and buy some small jars of the different types, then taste them. Figure out which kind you like the best, then plant accordingly. Or, if you just don't care, go for flowers that have a scent and plant them.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
around here the bee guys have privet. we've also planted buckwheat which gives a darker honey...but its really fast growing.

:)

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a lot of activity on the buckwheat and alfalfa plants.

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day G/L,are you in a "big" snow area?..If so what will you feed the bee's in winter?....If not don't to forget to look for some "winter flowering plants"' as well..................Bees will travel a fair distance to find pollen ,so wherever you buy have a look around the "district" for a food source as well.

....................................T.O.R...............................

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not much snow here. Last year we had a lot and that was about 12 inches total. How would wild muscudines work? Or some other grapes? Not sure if Ive ever seen grapes bloom but they would have to right? Then we could feed the bees and us! Something functional and pretty. Im really getting excited about all this. Now if we can just hurry and find our land and get to planting!