Plants--easy money for some!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Let me tell what I did.

I looked around the farm and thought what can I sell to customers at the market.

I had Daylily by the boatload. I love them and grow them and they multiply insanely here. I also had red cannas. WOW, they are super invasive and you can't kill them. I love the look of those plants also.

So I dug up and divided my daylilly, put in moistened dirt with a plastic baggie and twist tied it closed-----the bulbs to the cannas, just sold those in an open box and said like 3 for $2.00. It was alot of digging but I had to purge the area and at the same time I made money!

I made a killing.

So anyone looking to make some money at the markets, or like 2dream, has an egg sign at the end of their driveway and have customers coming, it is so simple to see what you have growing and part with a few to make some feed money etc.

So anyone selling eggs and such, remember you can divide your herbs, your easy dividing flowering plants, etc. and make money.
I did and customers loved their purchases.

OH---we have tons of misteltoe in the trees here in NC....yup, me and Barb got some.....very hard work!!! They are high in the trees growing up there but we used Tony's front end loader and cherry picked some and sold that also. Won't do that again, cost of disel to run the sucker outweighed my profit...HA HA HA...but it was an experiment I tried and had fun doing it.

just throwing out some thoughts someone might be interested in for a summer market project.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Let me tell what I did.

I looked around the farm and thought what can I sell to customers at the market.

I had Daylily by the boatload. I love them and grow them and they multiply insanely here. I also had red cannas. WOW, they are super invasive and you can't kill them. I love the look of those plants also.

So I dug up and divided my daylilly, put in moistened dirt with a plastic baggie and twist tied it closed-----the bulbs to the cannas, just sold those in an open box and said like 3 for $2.00. It was alot of digging but I had to purge the area and at the same time I made money!

I made a killing.

So anyone looking to make some money at the markets, or like 2dream, has an egg sign at the end of their driveway and have customers coming, it is so simple to see what you have growing and part with a few to make some feed money etc.

So anyone selling eggs and such, remember you can divide your herbs, your easy dividing flowering plants, etc. and make money.
I did and customers loved their purchases.

OH---we have tons of misteltoe in the trees here in NC....yup, me and Barb got some.....very hard work!!! They are high in the trees growing up there but we used Tony's front end loader and cherry picked some and sold that also. Won't do that again, cost of disel to run the sucker outweighed my profit...HA HA HA...but it was an experiment I tried and had fun doing it.

just throwing out some thoughts someone might be interested in for a summer market project.
Good ideas! About the mistletoe - when we lived in Texas, one of our neighbors used to go to his deer lease and shoot down the mistletoe to sell. "Didn't get any deer today... but I did get a truckload of mistletoe." :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Never saw mistletoe growing wild, but....can you make some kind of picker with a bamboo pole and a wire hanger or such? Like an apple picker but different?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We have a pie cherry tree on our property (I forget the actual name of it) and it sprouted TONS and I do mean TONS of babies. We replanted/potted some...babied them for awhile, and sold them this year as 2 year old saplings. We got $15 a tree! No sooner did we put them out for sale, they were gone the same day!

We are hoping to have more to offer this year, as well as some Oaks and maples. :)

Oh and Lilac bushes!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
shooting mistletoe out of a tree?
never heard that one!
bluebirds, WATCH OUT!---lol

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to pay for my new plants, seeds, etc....I will be dividing like crazy this spring! I live on a busy road and can unload anything!

Great idea!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Quail
good money and good smarts on your part....baby sprouts made you that kind of money!! COOL

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
honestly if you have the market, and the plants to do this, by dividing or bulbs or like quail, plant and allow to grow a bit, there is great money in this situation.

plus check with your local nursery for plant pots. people recycle them and my convenience sites gives them away also.

plus keep all your plant cells etc. great for reuse when selling.

or use old jars to plant, old 1/2 cut milk cartons. It doesn't matter the container you sell your plants in, just as long as the customer gets it alive and well.

recycle, reuse, make money!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh and anyone with Koi ponds or water plants, the money is there also cause those suckers are expensive.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I can vouch for what FC says -- I had a garage sale last spring and as an afterthought included a bunch of hastily-potted-up byproducts of dividing and thinning beds. They sold surprisingly well, and it was total profit (considering that I was going to dig the plants up anyhow, it took less time to pot them than to plant them elsewhere, and I had the spare pots already sitting around).

Highly recommend, for gardeners :)

For non- or new gardeners btw, buying such plants is a really good way to get started -- stuff being sold out of peoples' gardens in your area is almost guaranteed to be quite hardy and well adapted, if sometimes more invasive than you might ultimately like (DO NOT get goutweed, variegated or not!)

Pat