Plants that keep bugs away

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I allow trap plants to grow here and there around my yard. I know that Japanese beetles are inevitable. I'm not about to resort to poisons in a folly attempt to eradicate them from my property. And the nematodes that could be used are very expensive and not winter hardy enough to make that an economical treatment. So... knowing that JB love primrose, as well as some of the other weeds that I allow to stay... I become the eccentric bug lady. This time of year, I make multiple trips around my yard, garbed with my little old lady disguise hat (covers my dark hair to make the deer flies less likely to attack me) toting my JB trap made from a sawed off ammonia bottle with a qt sized zip lock bag attached to the bottom. (I cut the lid, so that only the screw ring is left.) That holds the bag in place. The jug is cut down into a funnel shape. It doesn't take long to collect a cup or more of JB. These are given a HOT bath from the hose, then dumped into the chicken run.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My birds go into a brawl over Japanese beetles.

japanese-beetle-katja-schulz-flickr.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you keep dry pellets before them at all times? If so, you might try only putting the feed out in the day, and give them some time to forage before giving them their pellets. That will also help to prevent rodent infestation on your property.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you keep dry pellets before them at all times? If so, you might try only putting the feed out in the day, and give them some time to forage before giving them their pellets. That will also help to prevent rodent infestation on your property.
Oh, we don't have any outdoor critters anymore. My chickens always free ranged all day as long as weather permitted. I'd throw out a bit of grain first thing in the morning and that was pretty much it until the weather changed enough where they needed layer feed. It's bug central out here. I miss the birds.

We used to keep layer feed and some grains in the coop. One year they were going through it like crazy! Then I noticed some grains falling out of the soffit of the coop. We tore it out and I bet there was enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. That rat must have thought he was in heaven. So, that's when I stopped leaving food out until late fall.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's another option. Rather than focusing only on plants that repel mosquitos, you can intentionally plant things that attract their predators. Here's a video on what to plant to attract dragonflies.
https://livelovefruit.com/10-plants-that-attract-dragonflies-for-mosquito-control/

You can also put up nesting places for bats, Purple Martins, and other birds. Having both natural predators and plants that repel different pests can really reduce the amount of chemicals needed around the homestead. And once the natural balance is back, the cost goes waaaaay down.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use no chemicals here. Chickens free range and forage well. Cats are on mouse patrol -- my young female was having a bunny breakfast two days ago..:rolleyes:..teaching 3 kittens to hunt. Goats work on weed control, mini horses graze grasses. Several swallows (?) have annual nests and do the aerial work. Plenty of natural plants to attract good and lessen undesirables.

Actually, the occasional rat snake is my only problem. There are a couple skunks, sometimes a possum that wander in but, coops are closed at night. Fox are seen seldom but, out there if the back neighbor has missed them. Have beneficial insects around...I'm pretty much ok with most of it as I see little damage.

Garden will tell the tale next year. :D Didn't get one in this year:( In past it's been relatively minimal problems. I live on top of a sizeable & gradual rise in the land, so I get some nice breeze when others may not. That helps, IMO, so far as flying type. Farm acreage &/or wooded on all sides. Yeah, farmers do use some chems but only on ONE side & limited, with 20' buffer zone.

It's a combo of things here. :D:clap