Plants that keep bugs away

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you keep dry pellets before them at all times? If so, you might try only putting the feed out in the day, and give them some time to forage before giving them their pellets. That will also help to prevent rodent infestation on your property.
Oh, we don't have any outdoor critters anymore. My chickens always free ranged all day as long as weather permitted. I'd throw out a bit of grain first thing in the morning and that was pretty much it until the weather changed enough where they needed layer feed. It's bug central out here. I miss the birds.

We used to keep layer feed and some grains in the coop. One year they were going through it like crazy! Then I noticed some grains falling out of the soffit of the coop. We tore it out and I bet there was enough to fill a 5 gallon bucket. That rat must have thought he was in heaven. So, that's when I stopped leaving food out until late fall.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some of these things work in the house, not just garden.

Rosemary, peppermint, etc., laid in a fruit bowl will deter fruit flies. Mice hate peppermint. Snakes aren't happy with these strong smells, either. Plant them by the coops!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have about a dozen different mint varieties. There are worst things to collect and I use most for tea. Just not pineapple mint.

My peppermint is the variety grown commercially for oil. Many farmers grow fields of it where Mom lives. I have it planted in many spots since it's such a good tea mint.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have peppermint on both sides of the back door and spearmint by the wellhouse. Makes for a nice fragrance when brushing by it.

My cats are immune to catnip now. Too much growing that they brush against. They actually don't seem to like the scent anymore when I crush leaves and offer it. I'm thinking of ordering some valerian root for them, even though I hate the smell of it.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you keep dry pellets before them at all times? If so, you might try only putting the feed out in the day, and give them some time to forage before giving them their pellets. That will also help to prevent rodent infestation on your property.

Latest posts