Plastic free, recipe help needed

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I haven't, but have wanted to. I was planning on just using beeswax. I imagine they use something to keep it more flexible....maybe an oil, like a veg oil? Maybe they make an emulsion, like a salve, with the beeswax/oil first, then treat the cloth? That is what I would experiment with.

I admit that I haven't been motivated to make them since I rarely bring food with me that can't go into a jar or bowl or just get wrapped in a napkin. My life has changed dramatically in the past couple of years so the need for these has not been high for me. I hope you make them and report to us what works!

I have a bunch of glass bowls with plastic covers that I use in the fridge along with canning jars. I wanted to make sandwich wraps. My plan was to use pretty patterned fabrics to hide any stains that would ultimately make my wrap look dirty over time, even after wiping it clean.

Very cool! Keep us posted!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That was my first thought, but it would taint the food with it's strong smell. I don't think they'd use EO's for this reason.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read that the reason hemp/mix is used is it will not mold if it gets wet like cotton will.
How to treat natural fibers [including nylon fibers or materials] with beeswax

On a suitable surface that can withstand heat, place down a rectangular sheet of brown paper. Place another rectangular sheet of aluminium foil to match and mate the brown paper, edge for edge. Fold in half to make a square, then open and lay flat once again, with foil facing upward [this it to create a mid line seam as a reference point].

Place the material intended to be treated with beeswax, on one side of the mid line [in the middle of the square]. Evenly distribute a small amount of beeswax shavings over the material and then fold the paper-foil over to sandwich the material. Pass a hot iron [set to medium] over the brown paper to distribute an even layer of melting beeswax over the entire area of the material, which is sandwiched between the brown paper-foil.

Quickly open the brown paper-foil while still hot from ironing, and remove the wax treated material. That's it! You now have beeswax treated material. You can place the waxed material over your kefir jar, and secure it in place with an elastic rubber band, or tie it with string.

recipe pulled from the internet but it seems like it would not have flexibility to it :idunno

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I read that the reason hemp/mix is used is it will not mold if it gets wet like cotton will.
How to treat natural fibers [including nylon fibers or materials] with beeswax

On a suitable surface that can withstand heat, place down a rectangular sheet of brown paper. Place another rectangular sheet of aluminium foil to match and mate the brown paper, edge for edge. Fold in half to make a square, then open and lay flat once again, with foil facing upward [this it to create a mid line seam as a reference point].

Place the material intended to be treated with beeswax, on one side of the mid line [in the middle of the square]. Evenly distribute a small amount of beeswax shavings over the material and then fold the paper-foil over to sandwich the material. Pass a hot iron [set to medium] over the brown paper to distribute an even layer of melting beeswax over the entire area of the material, which is sandwiched between the brown paper-foil.

Quickly open the brown paper-foil while still hot from ironing, and remove the wax treated material. That's it! You now have beeswax treated material. You can place the waxed material over your kefir jar, and secure it in place with an elastic rubber band, or tie it with string.

recipe pulled from the internet but it seems like it would not have flexibility to it :idunno
I wonder, if you mixed hemp oil and beeswax, you might come up with a flexible cloth. I might be trying that at some point.

I have quite a few glass bowls that I like to use for leftovers, and have just kept using plastic wrap.
Then I saw the flats, but was put off by the price.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking is combining the methods, experimentation may be key in getting similar results as the Abeego's. GOOD LUCK, let us know how it turns out for you. maybe others will have a closer recipe.