1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Please critique this!

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by ninny, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 6, 2013
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

I also welcome ~gd's comments here, especially if he has additional facts on the matter.

Air is only about 20% oxygen, most of it is nitrogen--O2 absorbers don't make the air "go away". Oxidizing metal doesn't create a vacuum, it is a chemical reaction. A chemical reaction within a sealed container can't make atoms disappear.

2. Feb 6, 2013
    FarmerJamie

FarmerJamie Mr. Sensitive

Never said the absorber made the matter "go away", I'm saying it goes through a state change from gas to solid. That could cause the air volume to decrease by 20% making the bag shrink. the mass of the bag contents would remain the same.

The OP said using the O2 absorber "pulled a vacuum", I think they were saying their bag shrank as the absorber works. Technically speaking, not the most accurate use of terms, but I think their observation is correct.

Even a vacuum sealer doesn't create a true vacuum, since there is food in the bag. It just removes most of the air.

so how many angels can dance on the head of pin? :lol: :p

3. Feb 7, 2013
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

545,620,899, 200,184, 583,million,billion,trillion! :lol:

4. Feb 10, 2013
    TheMartianChick

TheMartianChick Power Conserver

Just a comment about one item that always seems to be on stock-up lists: powdered drink mix.

This is an item that should probably be included in every pantry whether you drink it or not. The reason is that there may be an occasion where someone (particularly children and elderly) may need to take in fluids or medication but refuse to due to the taste. There are times when the water you have access to may not have a pleasant taste or odor due to sulfur or something else that isn't dangerous. Kool Aid can mask the flavor of bad tasting water or medication and ensure that everyone stays hydrated.

I'm not a fan of Kool Aid, but we don't have any allergies to it in our family. For that reason, we keep a supply of it. You never know what kind of emergency might come your way, but your ability to adapt to a changing situation is what enables you to survive it. As a kid, my babysitter had sulfur in her well-water and had a water softener. I hated the taste of her water because it tasted both flat and salty to me. I refused to drink it while I was there and became seriously dehydrated one summer.

Years later my family traveled to Florida, I was introduced to the horribly sulfur- laden water that is common to Central Florida. (I don't know if they neglect to use a water softener or if that is the best that a softener can do, but it always smells like an alligator is about to fall out of the faucet!) We all refuse to drink it, but we are fortunate to have choices. In an emergency, we might not have a lot of choices available unless we prepare for something like this. Unsweetened Kool aid is relatively inexpensive and lasts for quite awhile.

5. Feb 10, 2013
    snapshot

snapshot Farmwife

Definitely getting koolaid! I was raised on sulfur water! Even tea never tasted good.

6. Feb 10, 2013
    Bettacreek

Bettacreek Almost Self-Reliant

I hate lists. I go based on what's on sale. I wouldn't eat half of that stuff. Going by sales vs some random list will save more money and you'll get what you actually use.

7. Feb 10, 2013
    wooddustmaker

wooddustmaker Lovin' The Homestead

Store what you eat, eat what you store.

If you do this, rotation shouldn't be an issue. Buying 100 lbs of wheat makes no sense, if you don't bake, and have a wheat grinder. It is amazing how fast a stockpile can be built up by just buying 1 or 2 extras of something that you like, and use. Then it is a simple matter of rotating them from the pantry to the kitchen. The new goes to the back, the old goes to the kitchen, or front.

If you can not store what you buy properly, its not worth it. If you buy 100 lbs of flour, and never use it, it will go bad. Maybe insects in it, mice, it got wet, etc. I would suggest making sure you have the means to store, before you store. This may be something as simple as building some basic shelving. You need to be able to see what you have, so you know what you need to get to fill in the "holes."

The pre printed lists are great, only if you can, and will use what is on it.

8. Feb 20, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

Would you care to share YOUR list with us all? :D

9. Feb 20, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

Hahaha... we have a large snake living in the cellar, so no mouse problem there! But you DO want to locate the snake before loading up your arms on jars of food LOL

10. Feb 21, 2013
    SSDreamin

SSDreamin Almost Self-Reliant

I will see if I can pull out the 'cleaned up' version, see if I can get it scanned into my puter, then upload it - which means I make no promises! :p

ETA: Couldn't get my scanner to work :/ So, I will jot down my monthly breakfast list for ya.
    Menu:
    Pancakes (pancake mix, water, syrup)
    Cereal (cereal, milk, sugar)
    French Toast (bread, milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, syrup)
    Toast - bread (peanut butter, jam, butter, cinnamon, honey)
    Eggs & bacon (eggs, bacon, bread-toast, butter)
    Breakfast tacos (eggs, bacon, hash browns, cheese, tortillas, taco sauce)
    Oatmeal (oats, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, raisins, salt, water)
    The guys LOVE breakfast tacos, but I hate making them, so we only have those twice a month. Oatmeal - I love it, the guys gripe, so that is twice a month also. That leaves 5 different breakfasts to cover 24-27 days. Also, I must point out that both my guys eat, A LOT. so, this is the calculated amounts of stuff we need for a months worth of breakfasts (your mileage may vary):
    Pancake mix 16C
    Syrup 5C
    Cereal 6 1/4 Boxes (ave. 13 oz)
    Milk 47 C
    Butter 9 3/4 C
    Bread 16 loaves
    eggs 58
    bacon 4#
    Hash browns 16 C
    I used to make biscuits & gravy, but the guys prefer that on our 'breakfast for dinner' night. I have also revised this list - I make the pancakes from scratch now, so I had to change the calc. on that, and - if I can't buy cereal on sale under my spending cap ($1.50/box at the moment), we drop that from the list until I can find it :hu
    At least this gives you an idea of our system :)