1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Farm Dogs
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE Explain this to me: "Fork Split" English Muffins or Bagels ?

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes & Fun!' started by Nifty, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Nov 29, 2011
    Nifty

Nifty Almost Self-Reliant Administrator

Ok, Devil's advocate:

English muffins: Why don't they just split them at the factory with a special fork or whatever that will have all the nooks / crannies there? I mean, we can send a man to the moon, I'm sure they can figure this one out.

Bagels: Ok, I can see how it could make it easier to process if they are all together... BUT the factories have figured out how to slice bread and keep a loaf together, so I imagine keeping a bagel together wouldn't be rocket surgery. ;)

2. Nov 29, 2011
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

3. Nov 29, 2011
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

If you don't want them split they make toasters that will take them that way, but I take it you object to the effort it takes to halve these things? ~gd

4. Nov 29, 2011
    Emerald

Emerald Lovin' The Homestead

A loaf of bread is cut sidways and all slices are made at once and the loaf goes straight into the wrapper.. bagels being round get the "sideways" two knife cut as they go down the little conveyer belt and then they go into a stacker which counts and then loads them into the bag. It is hard to convey how this works in words.. but very clear when they show it on tv.
    Most English muffins are pre- fork split and you should only have to twist them to get them apart. Now the cheaper store/generic brands are not as easy to do this with.
    To find out if the EM you buy are pre split just look for the holes on the side. You can find them every so often that are not split at all.
    I make them too and they are super easy.. as easy as pancakes.. But there is a dark downside to making them(and bagels) at home.. when you want one you have make a batch! lol :lol:

5. Nov 29, 2011
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

Well "Good Eats" has covered English muffins at leat twice. and that putz Elton Brown gave the special muffin spliter fork a thumbs down because it was not a multi-tasker. I have one that I also use as aa slicing guide to make uniform slices.

6. Nov 30, 2011
    Emerald

Emerald Lovin' The Homestead

His name is Alton Brown and he is not a putz! :p I have more kitchen gadgets than you have probably ever seen tho! lol but I do not own a bagel slicer.. too much work when I have a bread knife.
    A regular fork will split them just right.. you just poke the fork in all the way around the edges and then twist.

7. Nov 30, 2011
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

Thank you for correcting me on the proper name. Do you speak yiddish? and I was talking about a splitter fork not a bagel slicer. My best bread knife was originally made to cut Insulation fiberglass on one edge and polyfoam on the other. And I am a gadget freak also, everywhere not just the kitchen. Thanks again!

8. Aug 17, 2017
    LynnFisher

LynnFisher New Member

LOL English Muffins were invented to intentionally not be split all the way through so that they have to be forked or torn apart to make an uneven surface. They're not supposed to be even, they're supposed to be unique in order to make each bite a different textural experience. Get yourself an English Muffin splitter so you get a more consistent slice (I bet they work for bagels too)