please help me goat people

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
:he

I got the molly's herbal dewormer. I am now on day 2 of trying to get these goats to eat the wormwood formula and they hate it....well, except my one doe that cannot ever be bred. Go figure.

My milker DETESTS molasses. What else can I mix this stuff with to get her to choke it down? This morning I got desperate and put a thin layer of peanut butter on her favorite animal crackers, dipped it in the powder and sandwiched it with another animal cracker. The little B!$#@ spit it at me. Then I put it on their favorite tulip poplar leaves the same way with the peanut butter and rolled it like a jelly roll and got Bethoron to eat it that way and of course Tally just ate whatever I put in front of her. :rolleyes:

Aliana will not eat the stuff. She sniffs and then snorts at me. I don't have one of those drench syringe thingys so what can I put this stuff in to get her to eat it or am I just gonna have to shove it down her throat :rant

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
You can use a medicine syringe. Put her in the stand, and shove it in the side of her mouth at the back.
You can mix it with yogurt to help with the taste.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you get slipperly elm, it makes better balls but you still have to shove it down their throat far. Getting a drenching syringe would probably be the easiest way to do it.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree, force feed it. Goats are jerks. :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I got the combo pack so could I make a ball and then roll it in the other mixture that has slippery elm in it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have one doe who refuses it, period. UNLESS.....I roll the ball in plain slippery elm powder. This is made from the inner bark and you know goats and trees! It becomes irresistible to all of them and they fight for their share...and then some.

When I first used it I didn't have the slipper elm powder and had to straddle each doe's neck and clamp her with my knees, hold her head up and shove a 1/3 ball into her mouth without losing a finger, then hold her mouth shut and head level (if you hold it up she can swallow it into the "wrong" stomach, or something like that) until she swallows. All but one of my goats developed a taste for it with this treatment. The one, Peach, got very good at spitting it out.

I was able to get her to take one dose by rolling it in cornmeal, but by the next day, she was onto me. Slippery elm powder is the only way and worth the price and inconvenience of purchasing it. They all take the balls like they are major treats. I make each dose into three balls since two of my does are still smallish yearlings. Plus I get to give them three treats instead of one and am a triple hero to them as a result! :p