Please help me if you can to figure out what just killed my 2 week old

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have a mixture of ladies that are 2 weeks old. Just today I had one girl die. I noticed two days ago that she was breathing funny and it looked like her little heart was jumping out of her body. She didn't move much (only a small amount when another girl jumped on her. She did eat and drink but only minimally since she didn't move much. She is the smallest bird and probably hasn't realistically grown much in a week and a half. My question is... could this be something to do with improperly formed organs or improper growth? Should I put the other girls on preventative medication? Does anyone think this sounds like something that will affect the whole flock? They are very very clean and loved! We feed them medicated feed and they have the water stuff... I am just very worried about the rest of the girls after watching my little runt go today. Anyone's input would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sometimes chicks just die and this sounds like one of those times, particularly if she was stunted in the first place.

If one really wants to have healthy birds, simply feeding medicated feeds and using medication at the first sign of a problem won't give you this. Both are just a crutch to hold up poor genetics and poor management, IME, and never lead to truly healthy, self-sustaining flocks.

Keeping them clean is okay as long as one realizes that clean means something different in the chicken world than it does in the human world. So does love...love won't keep them healthy, alive and producing.

Here is a great thread that can help you but it involves a lot of reading and sifting through to get to the meat of it...but you won't be sorry you put forth the effort. If you are really interested in raising and perpetuating healthy, self-sustaining chickens, this thread will give you some valuable insight into how folks who have been doing this for years have managed to get it down to a few simple rules.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6...l-up-a-rockin-chair-and-lay-some-wisdom-on-us

Note: Really pay attention to the first few pages...they are significant as you read along and can help you sort through if you are serious about having chickens or if it's merely a pet thing because this thread can get a little rough around the edges and only the tough hang in there. ;)

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did you hatch them or did you buy them? It is possible that this one just had a weak heart. I've lost little ones up to a month old for just no reason.. more from the ones I hatched than the store bought ones tho.
And a weak/smaller chicken will be picked on without mercy by the other chickens.. which never helps..:hugs it is sad but it happens sometimes.
Since they are no where near eating size or laying sized I would think that a small dose of antibiotics wouldn't hurt but if you are feeding chick crumbles it is usually medicated already for some things. But personally I still think it was a weak heart.

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I really just wanted confirmation that it was just that one bird and to make sure the rest of them weren't in danger thanks. It is sad but thats life all you can do is try your best.

Latest posts