1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Please post pictures of your gardens here

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by mrbstephens, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Oct 5, 2009
    homestead holdout

homestead holdout Power Conserver

Oh so glad you started this thread! I search through books, mags, everywhere looking at other folk's gardens to get ideas for mine (I'm expanding)! This link to my page at TEG has a few photos, nothing as cool as what you've gotten already though.... Go to TEG and look around! And join if you havent! Lots of good photos, you just have to dig for them! Good luck! Hope you get lots of photos! THANKS
    http://www.theeasygarden.com/web/viewblog.php?id=6498

2. Nov 17, 2009
    lorihadams

lorihadams Always doing laundry

I went through my camera today and found pics of my garden in full swing. Here they are:

Here are the bean teepees
    [​IMG]

Here is a view of both beds
    [​IMG]

Here is the trellis for my cucumbers built from 2x2s and covered in leftover garden fencing, the cukes grow right through and my kids love to walk under it to pick them
    [​IMG]

Another view, climbing trellis for roma tomatoes at each end and lettuces, basil, cilantro, and spinach in between
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 17, 2009
    big brown horse

big brown horse Hoof In Mouth

How beautiful!!!!!

4. Nov 18, 2009
    okiegirl1

okiegirl1 Lovin' The Homestead

[​IMG]
    my tomotoes

[​IMG]
    green beans (I shouldda taken a pick when the entire thing was packed with beans!)

[​IMG]
    these are the beds as they were when we bought the house. LOTS of work to clean them out. (nice little burn pile, huh??)

Next year it will be much prettier!

5. Nov 18, 2009
    Wifezilla

Wifezilla No-Carb Queen

Here is the pond fed garden...

When I first started it...
    [​IMG]

Filter is what you are seeing on the right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got quite a few beans even though I planted late...
    [​IMG]

Pattypans and yellow squash did really well...
    [​IMG]

The basil went crazy
    [​IMG]

I am expanding this next year to include more growing trays.

6. Nov 18, 2009
    TanksHill

TanksHill Super Self-Sufficient

Lori your beds did great. I love the tunnels. I am thinking about something like that over the top of two of mine. Kinda like an enclosed green house for winter. What do your poles set into? I am thinking about using those plumbing things that are metal and screw on. I forget what their called. :he

Right now my beds are empty and dry. Waiting for fresh manure and compost for winter but. This summer they did pretty well. Nothing to fancy just basic boxes.

This picture was last sept when the larger beds were new.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the downhill side of the fence line. I put some tomatoes and onions etc.. out there. It was a pain to access because of the hill.

[​IMG]

I also have a play structure to dismantle and take out of the yard. Not sure what I will put in its place. More beds, vertical garden. Who knows.

7. Nov 19, 2009
    lorihadams

We had a long section of metal pipe leftover from something. We cut it into 8 inch sections and drove it into the ground about 5 inches. We made sure to get pvc that would fit into that piece of pipe. All we did was bend the pvc and insert it into the metal pipe. Worked like a charm. We stretched the plastic over and ran one piece of pvc lengthwise and wrapped the excess plastic around it and laid it on the ground so if we needed to lift it up or give the plants extra sun all we had to do was lift it off. you could probably stretch the plastic over it and secure it with bricks or anything weighty. When the plants didn't need the protection anymore we just pulled everything out and stored it on one side of the garden. Nothing will hurt the pvc and you can fold the plastic up for later. Just make sure you put enough support pieces the length of the bed so that any heavy rain or snow won't collapse the plastic.

Next year I want to add two smaller beds, one for just lettuce and one for just carrots that is higher up. I may also do all my herbs in pots next year too so I can have more room in the main beds for veggies. I'll definitely plan more beans next year too.

8. Nov 19, 2009
    Ldychef2k

Ldychef2k Survival Chef

I am almost ashamed to post these pictures. But I guess you all had a first attempt at some point, too.

I took these yesterday.

These are my few brussels sprouts. They are about a month in.
    [​IMG]

Container baby turnips
    [​IMG]

Container lettuce.
    [​IMG]

And my lemon tree.
    [​IMG]

9. Nov 19, 2009
    lorihadams

oooooo love the lemon tree! I am thinking of doing my herbs in pots this year. Wifezilla, that is too cool!!! Someday maybe I'll have a real pond and not just a baby pool.

10. Jun 6, 2014
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

wow, been a loooong time since anyone posted any garden pictures here. People been asking for pics and I decided to look for a thread rather than start a new one... so here are some pics. long view of garden.jpg here we have the brassicas: Kale and cauliflower with garlic around the edges to keep aphids away. To the left is broccoli with onions and the one with the hoops is cabbages and shallots, with a few jalapenos, and basil at the far end where they will benefit from a little afternoon shade from the lilac. Cucumbers just getting started in the bed next to the kale bed... I haven't put up the trellis for them yet. The beds at the far back are the new ones that haven't been filled with soil yet.
    fava bed.jpg The favas are looking lush, but no blooms yet
    perennials bed.jpg
    This is the perennials bed. Asparagus in the front, but it's kind of hard to see, columbines behind "just cuz", Lovage on the left, tarragon on the right, and you can just barely see the rhubarb behind the tarragon.
    garden mascot.jpg This is Alfred, the garden mascot, lol