Please pray for our big dog friend, Spartacus.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last Wednesday we think he had a stroke. On Thursday he had an MRI, but they didn't find anything conclusive. No Brain Tumors or inner ear problems. He is not really eating or drinking much yet. Wobbley on his feet. We have to put eye drops in his right eye every couple hours, because he is not blinking his right eye. The right side of his head is "droopy."

This am, he is moving the eyebrow on his right side, sooooo, maybe that is a good sign. I'll keep you posted on how he is doing.

9242011SpartacusSickemail.jpg

elevan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I replied over on BYH too.

Prayers are with him!

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't remember the technical name... but my dog had severe stroke like symptoms and it was "Old Dog Syndrome" - a very intense vertigo. Buford's head would tremor and his eyeballs twitch back and forth. There was no real treatment, but over about 5 days he got steadily better.

Thoughts and prayers for your big boy, no matter the cause...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sending out good thoughts and prayers for the speedy recovery of your pal.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AL said:
I can't remember the technical name... but my dog had severe stroke like symptoms and it was "Old Dog Syndrome" - a very intense vertigo. Buford's head would tremor and his eyeballs twitch back and forth. There was no real treatment, but over about 5 days he got steadily better.

Thoughts and prayers for your big boy, no matter the cause...
Yes, that was one of the considerations... he didn't have the eye movements. They were thinking it could be a brain tumor, inner ear infection, Bell's Palsy... His right side was affected, drooping ear, jowls, and no blink reflex in the right eye. Very unsteady on his feet. The MRI was no real help, except in ruling out a tumor or inner ear infection.

From about noon, I had an idea... he was refusing to eat or drink. I had some whey in the fridge from making cheese. I put a 50/50 mix of whey and water and he is LOVING that! Drinks it all gone! I have been giving him about a cup or so every hour. He is perking up! I think the fluids in his system are helping. He did eat a bit of roasted chicken. I think he is on the mend now.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good to hear he is feelig a little better. Buford would eat chicken and rice when he wouldn't eat anything else... and it's nice and bland for old, blah feeling tummies

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lots of healing vibes and big hugs for that beautiful boy!