Plows

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have gone to no-till. Part of my garden has been tilled annually. We dread working on that section. Its so difficult to weed! The no-till areas are easy to weed.

I start with having DH rototill early, 4 or 6 weeks before planting. I dug out perennial weeds and hoed every 3 days (1/3 of garden every day). After a month of that the crabgrass was gone, except creeping in the edges. Regular hoeing of weed seedlings works well.

I'm experimenting with underplanting/living mulch with white clovers. In an area ot has established in, it successfully excluded most weeds. Some grasses compete.

My advice is dont mulch, compost in place, or try living mulch until a garden is free of perennial or biennial weeds
The first year we hired and Amish neighbor to plow it. Then DH tilled it a few times. It was a rough start

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like river bed rocks all smooth. Do you have a metal detector? Find any nuggets? Looks like prime hunting ground to me.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Glacial rounded. I find junk quite often when I go out with the detector. I'm always picking up broken pottery and glass.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Okiepan ... Aha, horse power of both types! 😍

The Terraforce for the JD? Not familiar with the brand but I do want the ability to lift, back, drop, move about -- all from my seated position. The pull one I have does a fantastic till job but, manuevering is an issue if space restrictions....once planted. It doesn't back easily with riding mower. Plus, I'm not into pulling that rope to start anymore. 😊 although it starts easier than a mower I have! I could use for just the couple times a year for a full till.

I can leave turn room for the pull unit but that lever to lift it needs a bull elephant to move it from the dirt. The tractor disc cuts well after a couple passes and I may try that, then follow with a rake to smooth, then decide, before spending a couple grand. Might be ok. 🤔 Especially with walk behind tiller to use for season after initial prep.

So many decisions!

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Okiepan ... Aha, horse power of both types! 😍

The Terraforce for the JD? Not familiar with the brand but I do want the ability to lift, back, drop, move about -- all from my seated position. The pull one I have does a fantastic till job but, manuevering is an issue if space restrictions....once planted. It doesn't back easily with riding mower. Plus, I'm not into pulling that rope to start anymore. 😊 although it starts easier than a mower I have! I could use for just the couple times a year for a full till.

I can leave turn room for the pull unit but that lever to lift it needs a bull elephant to move it from the dirt. The tractor disc cuts well after a couple passes and I may try that, then follow with a rake to smooth, then decide, before spending a couple grand. Might be ok. 🤔 Especially with walk behind tiller to use for season after initial prep.

So many decisions!
Have you considered a harrow ?