Plug-in air fresheners, reusing?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, hubby INSISTED on getting these stupid things. The refills are almost $3 for one, and they last about a month. Add four up per month, and $12 just makes my mind hurt. So, I'm wondering, they have like a cotton-type wick and a resevoir, can I just get a syringe somewhere and inject new scent into them? I would probably have to wash the wick or something, or use the same scent, but, is it possible?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm, I dont see why not. It would be worth a try anyways. Good luck, and let us know if it works!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, it is a bit more work, but why not use something like a small pan with a cinnamon stick or some allspice seeds simmering on the stove while you are home? You can use lavender blossoms, nutmeg, lemon peels, lemongrass, etc.

The commercial air fresheners work 24-7, so much is wasted when you are not home or asleep. They are also quite toxic, btw.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We got some Yankee Candle plug-ins as a farmhouse warming gift... so they were free.

We tried to reuse them - the results are iffy. I think for best results, try to replace the wick or use a similar scent when refilling.

We used lavender essential oil and distilled water. We tried injection in one and soaking the wick in the other. The injection seemed to work better. The one we soaked was originally an apple scent. So the lavender was probably not the right choice for a replacement scent. :/

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Well, it is a bit more work, but why not use something like a small pan with a cinnamon stick or some allspice seeds simmering on the stove while you are home? You can use lavender blossoms, nutmeg, lemon peels, lemongrass, etc.

The commercial air fresheners work 24-7, so much is wasted when you are not home or asleep. They are also quite toxic, btw.
We just used ours when we needed them, but the one near the cat litter box was plugged in almost constantly. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have tried refilling one--and it leaked. Plus if I smell them too much-I get a headache.
Now, i buy scented candles, and place them on candle warmers. makes you candles last a long time, and they smell nice-- and don't give me a headache.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My son bought some of those with the wick also. I don't normally use such things but he thought I would like them. They were apple cinnamon and smelled nice but burned out quickly. I removed the wick, filled them with some citrus essential oils and turned them upside down, so they couldn't leak out. They did wonderfully! They don't even really need to be plugged in, as the wick will "wick" the scent out into the room.

I just couldn't see throwing them away after finding out what he had paid for them! :rolleyes: