Plum Jelly boo boo, try #2

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks, The only thing I have canned before, without the commercial pectin, is cranberry sauce. It's allways on my list for the hollidays. Makes a great hostess gift. Gina

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Here are some recipes I have in my files for jam without pectin, although these aren't the ones I use the most. To make jam without pectin you must use the correct amount of sugar. Wash and rinse all fruits thoroughly before cooking. Do not soak. For best flavor, use fully ripe fruit. Remove stems, skins, and pits from fruit; cut into pieces and crush. For berries, remove stems and blossoms and crush. Seedy berries may be put through a sieve or food mill.

Apricots
4 to 4-1/2 cups crushed apricots
4 cups Sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
Yield (Half-pints): 5 to 6

Berries
4 cups crushed berries
4 cups Sugar
Yield (Half-pints): 3 to 4

Peaches
5 1/2 to 6 cups crushed peaches
4 to 5 cups sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice
Yield (Half-pints): 6 to 7

Measure crushed fruit into large saucepan. Add sugar and bring to a boil while stirring rapidly and constantly. Continue to boil until mixture thickens.

Use one of the following tests to determine when jams and jellies are ready to fill. Remember to allow for thickening during cooling.

Temperature Test: Use a jelly or candy thermometer and boil until mixture reaches the temperature for your altitude. I'm at sea level which is 220F.

Sheeting Test: When your jam is at a hard rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, dip a spoon into it, and as it nears the jelly point, it will drop from the side of the spoon in about two drops. When the drops run together and slide off in a sheet from the side of the spoon, the jam is ready and should be removed from heat.

Refrigerator Test: Remove the jam mixture from the heat. Pour a small amount of boiling jam on a cold plate and put it in the freezing compartment of a refrigerator for a few minutes. If the mixture gels, it is ready to fill.

Remove from heat and skim off foam quickly.

Fill sterile jars with jam. Use a measuring cup or ladle the jam through a wide-mouthed funnel, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Use knife around inside edge to remove air bubbles. Wipe rim of jar clean with clean cloth. Adjust lids and process.

Recommended process time for Jams without Added Pectin in a boiling-water canner. Style of Pack: Hot. Jar Size: Half-pints or Pints. Process Time at Altitudes of 0 - 1,000 ft is 5 minutes.

Remove from water bath canner and place on clean towel to cool. Do not touch for 12 hours. Test each lid that it has sealed. If not indented, place in refrigerator and use first. Mark lids with contents and date produced. Store oldest jars in front and use first.

edited: now if I could just type... :D