PNW Smoke Salmon

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hubby went fishing so I have a bit of sockeye salmon to deal with. I filleted it and pulled the bones. It's in the dry brine now and will be smoked tomorrow. The spine and collars are also being brined since they are a treat in their own right.

This works for trout and steelhead as well. I'm going to experiment with it on a bit of tuna as well I think because it's also a fatty fish.

1 Cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Cup Kosher Salt

1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves

1/2 Teaspoon White Pepper

Cover fillets and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. I try 12 hours

Next morning, wash the fillets off with water and let them air dry for 2 hours. This will form a tacky pellicle on the surface of the meat and it will help retain moisture.

Smoke at the lowest possible temperature for 3 hours using Alder or Hickory. Then, over a 2 hour period, gradually increase temperature to 170°F.

Smoke at no higher than 170°F for 2 hours

Let the fish cool at room temperature for an hour. Then refrigerate uncovered, overnight.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh I MISS this! We lived on the Peninsula for 8 years, and for a while, my husband was one of the law enforcement people that would help at the hatcheries when the salmon came onto one of the reservations to spawn. We'd get fresh salmon by the pickup truck load. We canned it, smoked it, froze it, grilled it, ate it fresh, and gave it away. I DO miss salmon!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If we go to the hatchery on Fort Lewis, we can get one fish a day from them when they are spawning. Open to those with military ID only. They go fast, hence the limit of one.

Those are usually best canned after you do whatever you're doing. This recipe is exactly like the stuff in the foil packets if you can it after smoking. Great for dips and chowder when canned. Or you can just mix it with cream cheese and eat it like my Mom.

And I still have a smoked salmon colar in the freezer I'm going to go thaw for lunch now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, that sounds so good!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well just pulled them off so they can cool. Hubby is working his way though half of a filet *sigh*