Pocket knife for camping with Scouts~it's here!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Alright, I need to pick some brains. I'm getting dizzy internet searching!!!
I have a basic Swiss Army knife that has a number of tools on it that I almost always have with me. But I am not going to be able to take it to Cub Scout camp because it doesn't have a locking blade and that's a requirement. So I'm looking for suggestions for something that would be good to have camping, hiking as well as around the yard, like maybe with wire cutters.
Would like:
something that will fit in the pocket of a pair of cargo type pants
should have a locking knife blade
pliers
screw drivers
I have smallish hands with some minor arthritis in my fingers so it shouldn't be something that will take great strength to open and close
it does need to be reasonably priced but I do know you get what you pay for and don't want anything flimsy either.
It doesn't have to have a thousand tools, just some basic handy things for camp and around the yard
I don't hunt or fish so don't need tools specific to those sports
Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
A leatherman is the ultimate multitool for boyscouts. not sure on how much they cost though. Hubby got two free from work, and they are fantastic. They are kinda heavy though.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
They do seem to be high quality and very popular. The problem is there are so many models and the more basic smaller ones don't seem to have the locking blade which is a must for me. Most of our Scout leaders seem to have one and frequently whip them out to compare features. :rolleyes:

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I do believe the knife portion of the leatherman does lock, but no the initial opening of it. But I could be wrong, I rarely use it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I do believe the knife portion of the leatherman does lock, but no the initial opening of it. But I could be wrong, I rarely use it.
It depends on the model from what I'm reading.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
A leatherman is the ultimate multitool for boyscouts. not sure on how much they cost though. Hubby got two free from work, and they are fantastic. They are kinda heavy though.
I second that. Mine is very useful....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
miss_thenorth said:
Do you know what model yours is?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
BarredBuff said:
miss_thenorth said:
Mine is the less expensive ones, maybe the basic one...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
BarredBuff said:
Henrietta23 said:
Mine is the less expensive ones, maybe the basic one...
Does the knife blade lock?
I think so....I would like a new one I may shop for one online right quick. I'll be back in a moment with prices and such if ya want.