poison ivy remedy

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
go swimming in a chlorinated pool. It works.
Or you can do like my other half when he used to work on the Durock line - put cement slurry on it. Gross, but it works. Dries everything out. :sick

I don't think I'm allergic to it, but I'm not going to try to test that theory! Dry poison ivy is just as dangerous as live vines. Someone I know ended up with a REALLY bad case, when they were ripping out dead vines, and putting them in bags, and then squeezing all the air out of the bags, the crushed leaves constantly blew up out of the bag, and she had poison ivy ALL over her neck and upper chest. Not good!
Couldn't you just make a solution of bleach and water at home and use that?

Greasydog

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is really not a remedy I would recommend but while waiting on a train to pick us up so we could leave out of the country I met this ol' hippy man that lived by the tracks. He was very knowledgeable about plants, herbs, and flowers and as he was showing me all his gardens he planted on the railways property he asked if I knew what poison ivy was? I said yes and he asked me if I knew how to keep from getting it? I told him that I just stay away from it as I can identify it over many other plants and break out badly if exposed. While I was saying this he picked a poison ivy leaf and placed it on his tongue and said that if I eat this I will not get it anymore. He told me to try it and I told him I would rather not, but he said that he had been doing this for many years and had never gotten poison ivy after he had started doing this. I have heard ol' wives tales before about this but it was the first time I had actually seen someone EAT the plant. Does anyone know if this actually works or had he just fallen off the deep end? Nice guy though!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I guess that would work along the same lines as taking allergy injections of the things you are most allergic to, so as to lessen the reaction to that substance. It would take some nerve to actually do it.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Greasydog said:
This is really not a remedy I would recommend but while waiting on a train to pick us up so we could leave out of the country I met this ol' hippy man that lived by the tracks. He was very knowledgeable about plants, herbs, and flowers and as he was showing me all his gardens he planted on the railways property he asked if I knew what poison ivy was? I said yes and he asked me if I knew how to keep from getting it? I told him that I just stay away from it as I can identify it over many other plants and break out badly if exposed. While I was saying this he picked a poison ivy leaf and placed it on his tongue and said that if I eat this I will not get it anymore. He told me to try it and I told him I would rather not, but he said that he had been doing this for many years and had never gotten poison ivy after he had started doing this. I have heard ol' wives tales before about this but it was the first time I had actually seen someone EAT the plant. Does anyone know if this actually works or had he just fallen off the deep end? Nice guy though!
http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/96

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/1222-Eating-poison-ivy-to-gain-immunity

http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2006/07/03/dont-eat-poison/ (This one is most credible, IMO)

According to UoToDate (a physicians' resource)

HAPTEN-PROTEIN BINDING Hapten binding is the initial step in the development of ACD. Contact allergens are low molecular weight (<500 Daltons) chemicals called haptens, which are able to penetrate the stratum corneum barrier of the skin. Haptens are not immunogenic by themselves, but they can be efficiently recognized by the immune system after binding to a skin protein carrier. Haptens may be naturally occurring substances such as urushiol found in the resin of poison ivy, synthetic compounds, dyes, fragrances, drugs, or heavy metal salts.
If you read closely, it's not the poison ivy that's the problem---it's the immune system reacting to it. Still, the idea that eating something controls your immune system seems a little too simplistic. And I say that as someone who both has the whole internet on his computer and married a woman with a PhD in immunology. It's true that the gut is important and does affect the rest of the body, but I don't think you just eat something and become immune to it.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
DON'T EAT IT!!!!!! I've heard of people who have gotten extremely ill and almost died from trying this!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
DON'T EAT IT!!!!!! I've heard of people who have gotten extremely ill and almost died from trying this!
:thumbsup I am with you Deb! Same story here growing up!

lazyday

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Denim Deb said:
:thumbsup I am with you Deb! Same story here growing up!
x's 3